Notices

A Little Nervous

Old 05-21-2004, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Little Nervous

At the end of this month I'll be moving to another town. I'm a little nervous about what it's going to be like at meetings in this new town. Where I live now is a small town where I grew up and know everybody. So when I walked into my first meeting I wasn't nervous about what to do just what they would all think when they saw me at the age of 24 walking through the door. When the meeting got out, I was so surprised that my age didn't really matter much.

Now I'm moving to a town that is probably 10 times bigger or more. I just have this little nervousness in my gut about what meetings are going to be like and if everybody is like they are here and welcomes you with open arms. Even though I'm nervous, I'm not going to let that interfere with my sobriety.

I just wanted to know what it's like at meetings in bigger towns. And if the people are the same kind, loving, and caring people that attend the meetings in my home town.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

they will be the same ppl, alcoholics, just a different town. And yes, the size can be intimidating!

I live in a small town, and when i go to a larger town for a meeting, i find welcoming ppl..... hugs, smiles, phone numbers. And of course...... coffee!

Let us know how you do!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep
i just share th truth: "i'm mack, alcoholic and scared of all your big city ways."

then i wait for the miracle

mackat
Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

You could always come with me to the Thursday night Synagogue meeting. You, me, and a few thousand others...

You'll be fine.

And hey! Welcome to SR. We're glad you're here...
Old 05-21-2004, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY LAB,I'VE BEEN TO LARGE MEETINGS,100 PLUS,AND SMALL MEETINGS 2 OR 3,I KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND USE WHAT I CAN.
I'M ALWAYS AMAZED WHEN I GO TO A NEW MEETING HOW WELCOMING ALCOHOLICS CAN BE.
PERFECT STRANGERS THAT I'VE KNOWN ALL MY LIFE. ...ted
Old 05-21-2004, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

The sunday morning meeting here at the Steel Hall is usually packed.
About 100-125 blue collar guys and gals, miners most of them.
Big lovin'.
The rooms are the rooms...
And yeah, welcome here!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by ted
PERFECT STRANGERS THAT I'VE KNOWN ALL MY LIFE.
Ted, that's beautiful man!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

hi lab!

Welcome ! I think you will like the meetings just fine.Sounds like a big move you are making.Change can be scarey...can you get a list of the meetings where you are moving to before you move and plan which meeting you will go to first ? This way you will know where the meetings are when you get there.There will be friends you havent met waiting for you ! Prayers! Trish.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

There is only one meeting. It is just that we can't fit ALL the people in one room so we spread them out to many rooms in many cities and towns.
Only difference you may find from one room to the other... Well here in Bawston people from other areas say we talk funny.
You will find the same hugs, smiles, and welcome I am sure of, no matter what room you enter in the one big meeting.
Did I hear someone say coffee? Where? ahhh thank you
Old 05-21-2004, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

nice best!
Old 05-22-2004, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

To answer your last paragraph:

Big towns have more meetings, they all have people like you and me dealing with living life sober and talking about it and the Program. Same as in a small town, just more selection of meetings. Here in the greater Seattle area there are something like 1700 meetings a week. We are truly blessed, and there is no excuse for not being able to "find a meeting".

You will be fine. My wife is from Billings which is the biggest town in MT, and it is tiny compared to cities out here.

:tri
Old 05-22-2004, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. I've checked out all the meeting times and found out where every meeting is in Missoula. On most days they have three meetings a day, so I'll have no excuse not to have time to make a meeting. I also talked to a lady that my aunt works with and she said that her brother lives in Missoula and is a very avid A.A.er and she was going to give him a call and see if it was o.k. to give me his number so we could go to meetings together. Then at least I'll know a person there to help me get to know people at the meetings. I'm really getting excited about this move. It's like I'm really getting a whole new start in life since coming into the program. I can honestly say that its probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. Sometimes I wish I would have found the program when my life first starting falling apart because of my drinking. But I guess it took every drink to bring me here. Almost everybody at the meetings thought when I first came that I was forced by the courts to attend, which was not the case, I came on my own free will and that makes me feel even better about the program and myself. Thanks again everbody.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

alright lab!
keep us up to date on 'ol missoula- line from a jimmie Dale gilmore tune?
mackat
Old 05-22-2004, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY LABMAN,SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN.GOOD FOR YOU,KEEP GETTIN UP BROTHER!!!.....ted
Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
garden variety alcoholic

What I liked about moving to a large urban area, was the smorgasboard of meetings that I had to choose from, and the times. That helps me a lot. It took a while, but I found the ones that work for me.

I like smaller meetings, where everyone gets a chance to share, especially me. I love being the center of attention, if only for a brief momment....

.....yes.....sicker than most.