Help for a loved one

Old 05-19-2002, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
InNeedOfHelp

Unhappy Help for a loved one

I am seriously concerned about my aunt. (She raised me so, she is really a mother to me) She is 43 years old and has a serious alcohol problem and also smokes pot on a daily basis. She has also told me that she has been experimenting with Crack Cocaine. I am worried to death about her. She just found out that she is pregnant and she still insists on drinking and using drugs. She is extremely violent when she is drunk, she is a danger to herself and this unborn child. Within the past week alone, she has had to get 4 staples in her head from a fall that she took while drunk. Also, three days later while drunk again she fell, hitting her head again having to receive 30 stitches (15 on the inside 15 on the outside) She cannot hold a job, she has been stealing money from her three biological sons (ages 16, 19, 21) she has been arrested for lude conduct, public drunkenness, and other things. I have lost hope but, I fear for this baby that she is carrying. Is there any thing that you could recommend for us to make her get help for the sake of the baby? She lives in Pennsylvania. I need to try to find a program that she can be put in to. Please, any suggestions or help I would greatly appreciate

Old 05-19-2002, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Hello again,

I am responding to what you last said on the A board.

Washing your hands and waiting for a phone call is very difficult if not impossible...you care about her and what she is doing to herself and her son's.

It can't hurt for you to become more informed while keeping a hands off approach. Someone brought the Addictive Personality post to the top on the Nar Anon board...if you read it you may get a better understanding of how addiction works and the role we all play in it.

Arming yourself with information should be your first move in this situation...there is alot of available literature about addiction and alcoholism from every possible viewpoint (child, spouse, parent etc).

As Pernell said it is difficult if not impossible to make someone clean up who is not willing. So your focus needs to be on yourself what you CAN do. Maybe you can be supportive in some way to her son's...they must be suffering greatly.

Keep coming back,
JT
Old 05-19-2002, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

You are in the tough situation we have all been in and we all still struggle with it. There is just nothing we can do to change another person.

I don't know what the laws are about using and being pregnant, but check into it and see. Maybe reporting her would be the best thing that ever happened.

I know that in my line of work, I have had to report a lot of people I care about to child protective services and adult protective services. It wasn't a horrible experience. They gave the necessary tools to the families to correct the problems they were having.

You can do what you can, but you'll need to learn to let go of the rest. Taking care of yourself and your family is very very important and really should come first.

Keep reading and posting. I was in the same place just a short couple of months ago. The information on this board has helped me so much. I know when I run into trouble, I can always come here for support.

Morning Glory