Notices

When does it get easier?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does it get easier?

It's been a week since my pills ran out, and this time I decided I wasn't getting any more. I've had a thing for painkillers for years, but it's just been in the last 6 months that it's really gotten out of hand. I have easy access to tramadol and it got where I was taking about 300mg a day. I decided to taper down, so thankfully I didn't have bad withdrawal symptoms (just fatigue, sore muscles, RLS that lasted a few days) but now I just feel so hopeless and sad all the time. I realize it's only been 7 days, but it's been the worst 7 days of my life. I've been crying so much, and swinging back and forth between wanting to stay clean and wanting to go right out and get more pills. I was just down on the floor in my kitchen with a flashlight, trying to see if there might be a stray pill that had rolled under the fridge or into a corner. I don't even recognize myself. Thankfully my husband is being really supportive, and I've found a therapist who I hope will be helpful, but this is just so hard. Is there anything I can do to make it a little easier and get past the cravings and misery? Thank you for listening.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

In AA and NA they say to take it one day at a time. Keep your feet out of the past and out of the future and just take it day by day.

I understand everything you said - I too have crawled on the floor looking for pills. I have even checked vacuum bags.

You can do it. Post here - read often. Rely on your husband. Build your support group. I am going on 18 days sober - and it was hard in the beginning. But quitting works - I have been clean from prescription drug abuse for 2 years. I never thought I would last a month, but it has been 2 years.

I spent the first week of my alcohol detox sleeping, staying calm, and doing some reading. My DH was supportive, he took off work to help me. I think the quiet atmosphere helped me.

Don't do it alone. It is too easy to give up if you do it alone.

We are here for you! You can do it!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The physical recovery takes a while to be certain. And it won't get better overnight, you are still very early in withdrawal. Seeing a therapist should definitely help. NA meetings might help too - have you considered that?

Be assured though that it's not out of the ordinary ( the withdrawals ) and that they will end.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tramadol works a lot like an anti-depressant in addition to having some mild painkilling effects and I'm wondering if what you are experiencing is related to the abrupt succession of the higher dose you were taking. It says in the forum rules we do not give out medical advice here, and I am not a doctor, so this is only what I know from pharmacology studies and my strong advice to you would be to see your doctor immediately about the way you're feeling. In addition to the depressed mood and increased sensativity to pain you are also at risk for SEIZURES. This is one of the more serious side effects of abruptly stopping a drug like Tramadol / Ultram. Please be careful! I know you said you tapered down but I want you to be ok. The mood disturbances will probably ease up as your bio-chemistry returns to normal in the brain. Ask your doctor about PAWS as well. PAWS stands for Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. Many addicts and alcoholics experience a period of fatigue, sleep disturbances, general melancholy and anxiety after becomming sober. There are various ways to treat this and help your body recover faster. Exercise is highly recommended, as well as certain vitamins and amino acids but don't do anything until you SEE A DOCTOR ok? Either way it is best to be supervised when getting off this medication. Plus a good doctor can help you with other options as far as anti-depressants or a recommendation for what to do about the lack of motivation and the sadness you feel. I hope you are out if the woods soon. Hang in there. IT DOES GET BETTER! Sorry the reply got longer than I intended.

hugs
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I should also add that when my father had cancer he was on tramadol for a while and the tapering process his doctor recommended at his dose (which was about where you were) was a three month process. My dad seemed to do well with this slower method as his brain chemistry had more time to regulate and return to normal. I just asked him and he said he didn't have many withdrawl symptoms with this process like he did with stronger pain meds (Vicodin and Oxy).

Anyway hopefully your doctor knows more about it, like I said. I also forgot to mention AA and other sober groups. I go to meetings as I am sober about 8 months myself and they are tremendously helpful! Good luck! Hang in there!