Notices

new to AA

Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to AA

Last time I stepped foot through the doors of AA was over 5 years ago. I made it through half a meeting before I left.
I am now back in AA looking at it in a new perspective; new lite. I do have a question though: What exactly is "working the steps"? and HOW do I "work the steps"?
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are 12 steps for AA. The goal is to find a sponsor and then read through the steps together. The sponsor helps you to understand the steps.

Going through these and applying them is "working the steps". These take time. Some go through them faster than others. Sponsors have different methods but the goal in the end is the same. The 12th step is basically an ongoing step.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I would also recommend if you haven't read it yet to get the blue book. I found that very helpful when i first started going. Also you can get the step book as well. It gives more detail on the steps. I also have the little red book.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a book called "Alcoholics Anonymous" that has the 12 steps in there and the boo tells you how to work them. A sponsor is critical as most newly sober alcoholics have trouble doing this on their own.

Steps 10 thru 12 are ongoing steps - you never stop doing them.

Many people will work and rework steps 4 thru 9 as they get more sobriety under their belt.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

A sponsor helps guide you through those 12 steps. The steps help us take a look at our patterns of behavior and other things. It is where change takes place and are the meat of AA.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciate the advice. I really do. Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beside the Alcoholics Anonymous book also called "the big book", you would need the "12 steps and 12 traditions" also called the twelve and twelve book. the latter will be used with your sponsor to work the steps. the "twelve and twelve" book is a thourough study of the twelve steps. few pages written for each step.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to SR, glad your here!! What does it mean to work the steps?

For a long time (like a decade) I would visit AA meetings occasionally, like to see if I was an alcoholic, or to hope some piece of knowledge about hoe to control drinking would rub off on me!! In my head, I would criticize the people there and the program. I picked up a book or two, read some, drank more!!

But something happened in my head, and on Nov 5, 2012, I went to a meeting with a totally different intent. I had had enough, I was defeated, and I surrendered. I decided to commit to the program "work the steps." In order to really concede the fact that I was "powerless against alcohol" a daily meeting was necessary for me. It also helped me to Put my problem in the proper context, and make recovery my top priority.

Working the steps can mean different things for different people and according to different sponsors. But for all of us it requires honesty with ourselves and our sponsor. There is deep introspection that is done, I use a lot of journaling, and then there is sharing intimate details with my sponsor. Working the steps is about learning how to treat others differently, how to treat myself differently, but most importantly is about developing a relationship with a higher power and learning to depending upon it for strength and direction.

To get started on step one, my sponsor suggested I journal about my powerlessness over alcohol and include the story of my last drunk.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

I would also recommend getting a copy of the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions.

Another book I have on the 12 steps is called Father Fred and the 12 Steps,it has been invaluable to me throughout my recovery.

Wishing you well
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndStage View Post
Last time I stepped foot through the doors of AA was over 5 years ago. I made it through half a meeting before I left.
I am now back in AA looking at it in a new perspective; new lite. I do have a question though: What exactly is "working the steps"? and HOW do I "work the steps"?
Thanks.

I like this question, since I had the same question myself. I chose a sponsor, and she showed me what she did. I did the same thing. Now I show others what she and I did.

My experience is that the steps are precisely laid out, but everyone does slightly different activities.

For example, on Step 1, my sponsor had me write down a simple list of consequences that were a direct result of my drinking. Not everyone does this particular writing exercise. I found it useful. Others might scoff. I would never suggest that if someone does that, then boom.....they'll concede to their innermost selves that they are, in fact, an alcoholic. But she has 25 years of continuous and happy sobriety, and it worked for her. That was good enough for me. I never questioned the exercises she had me do.

In reality, I had taken step 1 before I met her.

So "working the steps" is not always precisely the same for every individual in AA. And as one oldtimer in my meeting always reminds people......you must find a way for AA to work for you in your own life.

I never debate with others about how they work a step. I have found that there are a variety of ways, so long as the real deal happens.

Welcome back!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you questions have been answered so I just want to say welcome!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by EndStage View Post
What exactly is "working the steps"? and HOW do I "work the steps"?
You work the steps the same way a musician gets to Carnegie Hall... Practice, practice, practice. The key to "Working the steps" is to think of it in terms of action followed by more action.

Going to meetings is action.

Getting a sponsor is action.

Following suggestions/directions/step-work is action.

Writing inventory is action.

Making amends is action.

Doing service work is action.

Helping other alcoholics recover is action.

Practicing these principles in all our affairs is action.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Welcome back. I see everyone has pretty much said the same things I was going to say. :P I hope you'll stick around here, I find this place very helpful in addition to my AA program.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Working the steps is something that you would do with a sponsor who has worked the steps themselves. The initial working of the steps is a tangible exercise meaning there actual work involved giving you a sense that you are actually doing something towards recovering from alcoholism.

They basically are a means of change to ensure that you see life and yourself through a different set of eyes and the ones we have used up till the point of working the steps haven't really done us any favours.

Good luck with your journey!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I do appreciate the help.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notincontrol View Post
Beside the Alcoholics Anonymous book also called "the big book", you would need the "12 steps and 12 traditions" also called the twelve and twelve book.
Both of these are available online if you do not have them now.

The book Alcoholic Anonymous is referred to as the "Big Book" you may also see people refer to it on here as "BB".

Here is the link to that book. The first 164 pages out line the program. The rest has stories written by alcoholics and their struggles with alcohol and how they overcame those using the AA program of recovery.

Big Book Online Fourth Edition

The second is also online and as stated is called the 12 and 12.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions