Notices

newcomer

Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer

Hello,
I am not certain what I should do but I know I need help to stop drinking. I am looking for alternative ways to keep myself busy in the evenings which is the only time I am weak.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pat,

Welcome. This place is a great resource in your quest to stop drinking. Also, AA has been very helpful for me. Besides those things you can try to fill your evenings with exercise or a new hobby.

You can take a course or learn to play an instrument. The possibilities are endless when you think about it. I highly recommend whatever it is that you do, that you make sure it is not in any venue that will present temptation. Stay out of bars and stay away from those that you drink with.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Pat

I found that I ended up doing what I wanted to do in the evenings even when I was drinking but was too drunk to do them! If that sentence makes any kind of sense. Basically it wasn't the activities that were the problem it was my alcohol addiction. Tackling that is a whole different thing to finding something to keep you busy. Though SR has a way of tackling both Have you looked into any support or recovery method, like AA, AVRT or SMART? x
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I needed to hear what AA offered on a daily basis and develop a plan. Left to my own devices I always drank as a result. I found that if I got honest with myself, kept coming and did not pick up the first drink that I would not have to get sober AGAIN. Also going to more than 1 meeting a day is permitted. BE WELL
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place to get support.