Notices

Maybe it will, maybe it won't

Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe it will, maybe it won't

Going on almost a year and a half sobriety with the usual ups and downs, but life is good, keeps getting better, promises do come true. Summertime is tough for me since my drinking was tied in with summer associated consumption (Margaritas, Cold beer on a hot afternoon, etc.) Washing the car, yard work grilling always were better with alcohol. I now drink tonic water with a twist of lime or club soda with cranberry juice socially. I drink sports drinks and Crystal Light when I am thirsty.

Today I came across a Crystal Light Margarita flavored. On the 4th of July, it would be nice to sit on the back porch and have something that tastes like something I like without waking up without gnomes shooting me with sling shots. My sponsor drinks non-alchoholic beer and has well over 20 years of sobriety. I asked him what he thought, and he said the old timers would frown upon it, you're dancing with the devil. I have a strong program, work the steps, pray and meditate everyday, meetings are the highlight of my day. I basically have to do what I think is right for me. If the first sip is too much like the real deal,I will know it- bail, throw it away, get to a meeting or on the phone.

Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm, im my opinion, it IS dancing with the devil. Maybe stop and think, why exactly are you craving such a drink? If you want something refreshing, what about Iced Tea? Or a cold glass of water?

Also, in my humble opinion, I don't think it's right of your sponsor to claim 20 years sobriety and drink nonalcoholic beer. Not to say he isn't SOBER, but kind of not. It does hold alcohol (albeit, trace amounts?), and he hasn't changed his lifestyle MUCH...

With that said, to each their own...
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well... I enjoy a NA beer from time to time. I think NA wine sucks, and I haven't tried the mixed drinks sans alcohol.

I think it is dancing with the devil early on, or if your sobriety is on shaky ground. And, I certainly respect those who would never ever even consider it.... However, I do think it is AWFULLY judgmental to question someone's sobriety if they drink one, especially a sponsor with 20 years without a drink.

I think the thing that strikes me in your post, is that there does some to be a little romanticizing the drink going on... "Washing the car, yard work, grilling were always better with alcohol." And the whole mocktail thing while socializing.

IDK, it's your call, not mine. You asked for thoughts... And I have always kind of thought, about the question of NA... if you have to ask... then NO!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

I am a garbage head. I don't drink non-alkie beer. It's for non-alcoholics. I also don't shoot saline, because I used to shoot heroin.

I make it a non-issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it was strawberry would you be posting about it on a forum for recovering alcoholics? The fact that you are indicates you see it as a substitute drink. This isn't a disease of the elbow, alcoholism is a mental disorder (classified as such by the AMA). I suggest staying away as far as possible from any person, place or thing that reminds you of alcohol. Even though I've been sober 21+ years I think about cold beer in the summer, it would be torture to fool around with NA beer. We didn't drink for the taste, we drank for the effect. I suggest going to a meeting and sharing about your idea.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This reminds me of the time I bought a pina colada flavored icee and was sipping on it at IOP. My counselor asked me what it was. She then asked me if it was a trigger. And until that moment I hadn't once even considered alcohol. Lol! It's such a nonissue for me, and she was making it into one.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

if your program was that strong,you wouldn`t take a drink of the stuff
why consider it?

my 3rd sponsor used to say,if i drank that stuff,i didn`t have the taste for a drink out of my mouth yet
Old 07-04-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am entirely too afraid of my alcoholism to risk it.

Not worth it. Not even remotely worth that risk.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by PARROTHD52 View Post

I have a strong program, work the steps, pray and meditate everyday, meetings are the highlight of my day. I basically have to do what I think is right for me. If the first sip is too much like the real deal,I will know it- bail, throw it away, get to a meeting or on the phone.

Thoughts?
I think you answered your own question. But why risk it?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

The first time I had one of the (then) new Cokes w/"a twist of lime," I was asked what I thought. I said there wasn't enough vodka in it. That was early in my sobriety, and I went back to drinks that didn't remind me of a parallel in the alcoholic realm.

Just me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My thought is: it's a bad idea.

I don't have any experience to share on what happened when I drank a virgin cocktail like drink, because I don't think it's a good idea!!

Let us know what you decide...how it goes!!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your handle would suggest a "margarita" is a little too close to the bad old days. It's your call, of course, but I spent way too many hours wasted away thinking I was living the life of Reilly. It's been 3 1/2 years for me, and I would have a hard time going to see Buffett live, too may ghosts in that particular closet for this parrot head.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me that would be like getting in an airplane,
taxiing out on the runway and never taking off.

Just don't see the attraction of it when one
is in a recovered state of mind and body.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. As I have been told when I did my 4th and 8th step, things are different when you write them down. I settled for a Harry and David Raspberry Lemonade, I'm still sober.

And for the record, I my sponsor is not guzzling O'douls by the 12 pack. And yes, I still yearn for the days when alcohol was fun and not an obsession that ate at my soul and was not a disease that controlled me. I caught it early before I paid a high price, but I don't want to pick up where I left off at. Even with only a year and a half of AA, I have seen so many people come and go, I wonder what is happening to them and I pray for them. My life is better without alcohol, but it took some major housecleaning to get here.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PARROTHD52 View Post
Going on almost a year and a half sobriety with the usual ups and downs, but life is good, keeps getting better, promises do come true. Summertime is tough for me since my drinking was tied in with summer associated consumption (Margaritas, Cold beer on a hot afternoon, etc.) Washing the car, yard work grilling always were better with alcohol. I now drink tonic water with a twist of lime or club soda with cranberry juice socially. I drink sports drinks and Crystal Light when I am thirsty.

Today I came across a Crystal Light Margarita flavored. On the 4th of July, it would be nice to sit on the back porch and have something that tastes like something I like without waking up without gnomes shooting me with sling shots. My sponsor drinks non-alchoholic beer and has well over 20 years of sobriety. I asked him what he thought, and he said the old timers would frown upon it, you're dancing with the devil. I have a strong program, work the steps, pray and meditate everyday, meetings are the highlight of my day. I basically have to do what I think is right for me. If the first sip is too much like the real deal,I will know it- bail, throw it away, get to a meeting or on the phone.

Thoughts?

I have two thoughts one if you are doing all this great stuff then why on earth would you think something that "tastes" like what you drank would even be a consideration
and two if I had a sponsor that drank near beer
I would get me a sober sponsor that stuff DOES have alcohol
and I drank for the effect produced by alcohol I relapsed after 13 years but I relapsed BEFORE I took that drink
you are in a relapse mode and that might **** you off
but that sure is what you are describing
thank God I lived through mine, it lasted 2 years!
today I would not dream of trying to yes, dance with the devil but I also know if I allow myself enough bull without confronting it
I will not be drinking something like cool aid
I will go right for the real deal
hope you got some sanity and did not do this
deb
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope they never make whiskey and diet coke flavored Crystal light. I would be so screwed..lol
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I hope they never make whiskey and diet coke flavored Crystal light. I would be so screwed..lol

LOL
don't know about you guys but I was not a sweet little drunk
I was a falling down gutter drunk
I might buy you a drink or
I might just throw it depending on my mood LOL
today I like being sober
it is the most natural thing in the world to me
but if I get cute and start thinking I got it going on
look out!
I love the old saying
if I forget my last drunk, I have not had it yet!!