Notices

Second Day

Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second Day

Now on to my second day. I had started to feel better by around 8:00 pm last night and guess what, the cravings started. It didn't help that my sister poured herself a glass of wine but I suppose that's something I will have to get use to. Proud to say though that I didn't give in and I went for a long bath instead.

As the night progressed I started having stomach cramps and almost as soon as I got into bed I had to run to the toilet. I had to make a further six trips during the night. I woke up at about 5:00 am sweating and had to dry myself with a towel.

Felt as though I had a hangover when I got up this morning but apart from feeling a bit tired I'm starting to feel a bit better. My stomach is still making the odd noise but the mad dash to the toilet has stopped thankfully.

Planning on drinking plenty of water and reading the posts on here for encouragement. I really think this site has already helped when I was craving alcohol last night I kept thinking about today's post.

One thing I have been disappointed in has been the support from my family and girlfriend. I thought my sister drinking wine when I was trying to quit was a little inconsiderate, it's almost as though she doesn't realize how bad my problem has been. At the same time I guess it just shows how well I have been at hiding the problem. (for those who missed my post yesterday I'm a functioning alcoholic).

My girlfriends reaction has been the most disappointing. Since the birth of our daughter (11 months ago) her behavior has been erratic to say the least. Mood swings and shouting about the smallest problem. I am 100% convinced she has a form of post natal depression. Her behavior had not gone unnoticed by her family and mine. As soon as I admitted that I had a problem with alcohol she was straight on the phone to her mum and dad as well as my mum to blame everything on my drink problem.

I'm disappointed to say the least as my drinking is not the main problem in our relationship. She did not know how bad my drinking was as I drank after she was asleep in bed. I admit that our most recent argument was because I was drunk but to blame all of our problems on me is unfair. I feel she is using my admission to exonerate herself from any wrongdoing. I will now also feel really awkward in her parents company but I guess that's the least of my problems.

I have however decided to turn this into a positive. If I continue to not drink she can no longer use this excuse for her behavior and that is exactly what I intend to do.

I haven't decided whether or not to tell my friends just yet. I am supposed to be going on a camping trip this weekend but I'm not sure if going would be a good idea.

Anyway despite some of the moaning above I am feeling positive and will hopefully be posting tomorrow about another alcohol free night.

Good luck everyone.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 2 Steve

just take it easy - our drinking life and early recovery is rough - and not only on you, y'know?

You may find that people react to you and situations differently once you have a little sober time up your sleeve.

Day two is great but be prepared for just about everything to get under your skin for a while. Remember that and try to be cool.

D
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I'd be honest with my friends on the camping trip or at least say i was on anti-biotics and wave a nondescript asprin popper pack without the box around in the morning

Or is a "camping trip" just an excuse for a guys get together and get hammerd night ?

Either way , on your day 2

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 2. Take it one day at time.

For me, the longer I was sober the more I saw not only in my life but in other people. Some of these are not pleasant.

For me, I can work on. Getting sober, reaching out for help and changing my life and attitudes.

For others, there is nothing I can do. I have to accept them the way they are. They are not going to change even it we want them to. I have learned they are as sick as I was. Maybe alcohol is not their problem but they may have another one. Until they see they need help, just like I did, they are not going to get it.

All I can do is work on me and my problem and try not to let my reactions to them decide how I am going to live my life.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement Dee. I guess I just thought that admitting my problem to people would help. Now I just wish I had kept quite and dealt with it on my own and using SR. I feel like I'm doing it on my own anyway.

The thing I'm finding hard is that no-one really new I had a problem and now my girlfriend is telling them I feel as though I will forever be judged. I know it's pathetic to worry about what other people think but the thought of being at a social occasion and people watching me wondering if I will have a drink bothers me.

I guess it's also having to admit that I can never drink again. I will miss sitting by a pool with a cocktail or having a drink at a festival with my mates. Now that people know, if I do any of those things they will pity me and judge me rather than enjoy my company.

Right now I want to stop drinking but honestly do I never want to have a drink again I'm really not so sure.

Anyway thanks again for your comments it feels good to speak to people who have been through similar circumstances.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2. A quick tip that helped me early on when dealing with cravings was this: bite hard into an orange/some tangy citrus fruit. Sounds silly but it really deals with the cravings and gives you a sugar spike.

Also, I completely understand where you are coming from with the people watching you, especially at gigs/festivals. It's very hard but with vigilance people will understand that you simply cant drink with them. You can of course have caffeine, which will make you energetic and hyper while some of the other people around you start to crash. Eventually, it just becomes the norm that you cant drink. My friends accepted it, it wasnt easy to begin with but hang in there.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mecanix you are right the camping location was chosen because of the local bar so I will have to give it a miss I don't think I'm strong enough for that yet.

GracieLou your right all I'm going to concentrate on just now is not drinking. Fixing my relationships will come later I'm sure.

Thank you both for your posts.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OldRocker thank you for your advice I must admit it does sound a bit weird but I will definitely give it a try. Anything that will help.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there as it's very worthwhile on the long run. I found that repeating over and over again "I can not drink in safety" helpful along with sweet fluids and candy bars to compensate for the loss of the alcohol in the system. In the beginning for me an old timer suggested plain old water as we may just be thirsty at certain times! AA has helped millions if we can remove our terminal uniqueness. BE WELL