Notices

The Battle Continues...

Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Battle Continues...

On vacation, and checked into a hotel today, and fighting with my AV the whole time. I wanted to drink so bad today...one of the hardest in my 2 months of sobriety.

Good news is I didn't. Shortly after we checked in, I went to the hotel gym, then swimming with my little girl. In the past, I would have come up with a few excuses to go downstairs and sat my but at the hotel bar. Felt good, but was still a struggle. Glad I am imbed now and know I will wake up with a clear head.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a job well done. You will thank yourself in the morning - and every other after that..
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hotels used to make me nervous as all get out. So did airports. Those were my two biggest problem areas because it was a get-in-and-get-out type of place...when you drink on your couch, you have to go back there the next day and sit and contemplate your behavior. Drinking in a hotel room, on the other hand, doesn't allow for those regretful moments because you've moved on and are long gone by the time recognition kicks in.

Nice work, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So very true BigSombrero - hotels and airports - I did a lot of drinking in both. Now I type this from a hotel as I am upstate working - and I'm changing the pattern. Its so strange, as soon as I saw the hotel I started the craving, but I rode it out. At the airport and see a bar? Immediately starts a craving. It is as if I'm classically conditioned to respond to the sight of my old drinking haunts, but never in restaurants! So strange, yes?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sonarisa and Bigsombrero....

Same here..., I have been doing well, and even still go to the readtaurant I used to drink at almost daily, and that doesn't get to me at all, but starting yesterday and all today I fought like hell against the cravings.

Ugh....I know it will get easier, I just wish sooner than later!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It will get easier Dolly. Not that we won't have the cravings anymore, but the way we choose to deal with those emotions, me thinks, is what changes.

I feel pretty good today. I overcame my urges again and it was hard but I did it. Riding it out is good advice - its helped me stop being so impulsive in other areas of my life as well. Now, I tend to take my sweet time with things I'm finding I kind of like it!