Notices

Don't want this life

Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't want this life

Hi,
I'm tired of drinking too much and feeling hungover. I'm tired of saying stupid things while I'm drunk. I'm tired of looking into my children's eyes and feeling like a loser. I am a good person. I am smart, funny, caring, a good mother and wife. I am a good person and this is a bad part of my life and I want it gone.

I don't know why I drink as much as I do. I know that I drink way too much and way to often. I know that I have long-standing anxiety/depression that was made worse by life events in the past 10 years, but I can't even blame that, because I drank like this before that time too.

I've had periods of complete sobriety in the past 14 years that I've been drinking - once for 2 years and twice for 1 year, but aside from that, I can't remember a time when my drinking wasn't out of control.

I'm really unhappy and disappointed in myself, and really hungover today and done with this.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!

I think it's a good place for finding supporting people and for reading about other people who have had similar issues. Do you have a plan yet for recovery, or just looking around to see what other people have done? (or don't know yet?)

Good job on taking that first step and looking for help.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on taking the step and wanting to change. Every choice you make after deciding to stop drinking will be a good one. This place is a great start.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My plan is to stop drinking! I know that sounds stupid... I tried AA last time I quit and did not find it helpful, so I joined a gym instead and focused on that. Suppose I traded one addiction for another and never really changed my attitude. First time I stopped drinking was with the help of a therapist for other mental health reasons.

This time, I'm taking today and not drinking, and then taking tomorrow and re-investing myself into my life. Start going back to the gym more regularly (have been going for months now, but hangovers got in my way this past few weeks). Start planning non-drinking activities (we had a lot of parties and bbqs now that it's summer, with loads of drinking).

My kids are too important for me to fail. I'm going to start being the role model they deserve. That is my motivation.

Any advice?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sorta sounds like you're re-doing the plan that didn't work last time.. There are other programs/plans out there besides AA. You were right, your attitude didn't change, and most alcoholics can't find that change and long term sober happiness without a helping hand.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome

Originally Posted by Bebetter View Post

I'm really unhappy and disappointed in myself, and really hungover today and done with this.

that is a great starting place

welcome

from
Mountainmanbob
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BeBetter, you are on my daily subscription list. I, too, want to be better, and I know I have it in me but the alcohol (or drugs) get me all too often.

I will be your friend here,

Pamel
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bebetter and Welcome to SR. I am in the same boat as you, every day is a challenge. Congrats on going 2 years and then a year sober. What were you doing different with your life those times? Possibly try going back to that same mindset/routine.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Bebetter, and welcome to SR x

I was just like you 13 months ago. I have 2 wonderful children, a good marriage and so much to be grateful for in my life. But I was trapped in that cycle of anxiety, depression and drinking and just couldn't break free of it. Drinking was a symptom of many underlying issues for me. I had to get sober in order to address them. It has involved making many life changes.

I too got sober primarily for my children. I wanted so much to be the Mother they deserve.

I went to AA and started working the steps with a sponsor. It was doing that rather than just attending meetings that made the difference to me. I only go to 1 meeting a week now because my life is just so full and busy. But it's the working of the principles that is the important thing. I have therapy for my issues, and that is making a huge difference to my mental health. I go to the gym which is helping my physical health and I'm looking to start a course in mindfulness meditation to help with the stress and anxiety that comes with my job. I am no longer depressed.

But without a doubt, it's SR that is at the foundation of all the changes I've made in my life. I log on here every day and I share my stuff with a bunch of people who understand what it is to be an alcoholic, who do not judge, just care and support. This community is incredible and I'm glad you found us x

I wish you well on your journey.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome BeBetter. I think you have a great reason for quitting-your kids deserve a good mom all the time!

Trying to figure out what makes you start to drink can be a good idea, but in my case, it was always a case of not being able to control it. You can always find a reason to drink, or blame it on all kinds of things, but it doesn't do much good. Putting your focus on stopping is more productive.

Look into AVRT, or urge surfing, or Rational Recovery-those methods might appeal to you more. You've done very well in the past, and you can do it again!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Bebetter,
I just wanted to say that I understand where you are coming from and I am in a similar place.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am glad that you believe in yourself and that you can still say positive things about yourself even though you feel like #%*t today. That is the sign of a person who is not completely defeated. I kept saying those same things to myself this morning out loud and then I would say "no I'm not". I've started to lose my trust in myself, I've always been able to do anything I put my mind to except for stop drinking. You have encouraged me to encourage myself - I think that positive thinking makes a big impact on your life.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bebetter,

I'm a day 1'er too. Last night was the last straw (embarrassed myself at a work function). You're not alone. We can do it together.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Bebetter. You can do this. Kids are a very important reason to quit for good.

Know that you are courageous and a good person. Some people never admit to their destructive drinking and it leads to their demise. You have chosen a different path and you will win as long as you get support, work a plan and never forget why it is you came here in the first place.

I believe in you!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Bebetter! Glad you are joining us!