Notices

Day 1 of Sobriety

Old 06-29-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 of Sobriety

Hi, I am new here and need all the support I can get with living a clean and sober lifestyle. I have been struggling with drugs for as long as I can remember and decided to join this website so that I can make friends, mark my progress, and support other people too. I am on Day 1 of sobriety and I am really hoping that I can make it past 30 days, that's always been my issue is making it past 30 days.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There is a lot of support here.

One day at a time! Do you have any sort of recovery plan in mind?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello TheNew,

Glad you're here , welcome

Bestwishes, m
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for welcoming me. I kind of have a recovery plan in mind. I deleted the numbers that needed to be deleted and stopped hanging out with a lot of people so that I can start the process. But other than that I don't have much of a plan but I need to come up with one. Any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a good start. You can read here about many different methods. Some choose one and others mix them up a bit. It really comes down to taking a little time to read about them and then decide what feels right for you.

I personally am in AA. That is the program/lifestyle I chose and what works for me.

Admitting you have a problem, staying sober and reaching out for help is the first step in recovery, no matter what the program.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome thenew

you could do worse than to stick around here - read and post as much as you like
D
Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me the physical of giving up was the first part .

Learning how to live and deal with life sober was the second and more difficult part , at the begining it was a real up and down ride of emotion .

I don't have any particular method to sell , i think it is more dependant on what you need to keep you on the path to sobriety / recovery .

Bestwishes , m
Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
That is a good start. You can read here about many different methods. Some choose one and others mix them up a bit. It really comes down to taking a little time to read about them and then decide what feels right for you.

I personally am in AA. That is the program/lifestyle I chose and what works for me.

Admitting you have a problem, staying sober and reaching out for help is the first step in recovery, no matter what the program.
Thank you. I'm currently not in a program but I used to go to NA and I don't know if a program is right for me but I'm thinking about trying it again. I just don't know where to start because I don't know if the meetings on the website are still active or not.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome thenew

you could do worse than to stick around here - read and post as much as you like
D
Thank you.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have general recovery meetings here the new - they're topic based and not tied to any one recovery method

D
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
For me the physical of giving up was the first part .

Learning how to live and deal with life sober was the second and more difficult part , at the begining it was a real up and down ride of emotion .

I don't have any particular method to sell , i think it is more dependant on what you need to keep you on the path to sobriety / recovery .

Bestwishes , m
That's the problem I have is the relearning how to have sober fun. I don't know how to have sober fun because I always tend to fall back to old habits.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We have general recovery meetings here the new - they're topic based and not tied to any one recovery method

D
That is very helpful, thank you.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheNew View Post
Thank you. I'm currently not in a program but I used to go to NA and I don't know if a program is right for me but I'm thinking about trying it again. I just don't know where to start because I don't know if the meetings on the website are still active or not.
I not sure were you are located but if they have an intergroup or chapter in your area you can call and see where meetings are in your area.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I not sure were you are located but if they have an intergroup or chapter in your area you can call and see where meetings are in your area.
What's an intergroup/chapter?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA has what is called an intergroup. We have one where I live. It is kind of a central AA office. They support the groups in the area. Information exchange, literature, meeting information, AA inquires etc. That is also were you can call if you need a ride to a meeting. They mail out the lead sheets and newsletters. Many people do service work at intergroup.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA has what is called an intergroup. We have one where I live. It is kind of a central AA office. They support the groups in the area. Information exchange, literature, meeting information, AA inquires etc. That is also were you can call if you need a ride to a meeting. They mail out the lead sheets and newsletters. Many people do service work at intergroup.
Thank you. I'm already learning a lot and I just barely joined.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There is a lot to learn. Try not to feel overwhelmed. It takes time. It is not a race. You will find many that are right were you are while some are behind and some are in front but we are all walking the same road to recovery.

Just take it one day at time
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There is a lot to learn. Try not to feel overwhelmed. It takes time. It is not a race. You will find many that are right were you are while some are behind and some are in front but we are all walking the same road to recovery.

Just take it one day at time
Okay, will do. Thanks.