Notices

Advised to not just stop

Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Advised to not just stop

Hi all, had a really interesting meeting with my community nurse who has advised me to not stop drinking altogether at the moment!!
I've gotta go to hospital and have blood tests done and she is doing her best to get me the help I need. Thing is these things don't happen immediately on the nhs so I've just gotta hang in there and wait!!

I actually feel quite positive about things though. I know I'm the one that has put the eitk in and do this but I feel I'm starting to get the support I need so i can put the tools in place to assist my recovery .. Feeling positive ..
Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hope you get all the help you need soon. Keep us posted!
Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

maybe reduce a bit?

I wish you well!!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

They say that because alcohol withdrawal is the only withdrawal that can actually kill you. Alcohol effects the same area of the brain responsible for your heart beat, breathing, and digestion. Basically the things that occur that you dont have to manually do, but that your body does on its own without you thinking about it. When a heavy using alcoholic stops cold turkey, your brain can shut down those systems and obviously, if your heart stops you die. Interesting little facts for ya. That being said, it only happens in rare cases, usually to people with chronic and heavy alcoholism. She is just being cautious advising you to not quit all together right now. Please dont use this as a free ticket to go get plastered if you are trying to get into recovery or sobriety.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually sudden withdrawal from any narcotic, cns depressant has the possibility to kill and alcohol is certainly one of them. I personally did not go into rehab or med detox, but I quickly found out my drinking paled in comparison to others. That didn't make me any less of an alcoholic, though. Hang in there. God bless.