Notices

Hello

Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Hello

Hi there I've just registered onto this site and saw lots of interesting posts about night sweats. I keep trying to stop drinking but suffer with terrible night sweats and the only way I can get them to stop is by drinking again which I know is not the answer. I've been looking on the Internet to see if there is something I can take just to get me through this initial stage of detoxing.
I have read that Librium is sometimes prescribed, has anyone got any comments on this please..
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kiwi, Welcome to SR! Lots of good advice and support here.

You might want to see your doctor about the night sweats, it could any number of things.

I was given Librium for detox but I was in the rehab hospital and it was only for three days.

Love from Lenina
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi thank you for reply. I am going to see my doc on Tuesday, but I don't find them very helpful!! Iam so glad I found this this site, I'm finding it really interesting reading what other people are saying and being able to relate to so much of it, makes me feel like I'm not so alone after all ..
I'm trying to get other help as well and I've got my community nurse coming round today to discuss different options for detoxing and support there is out they. I've been going to meetings for years and although they do help I now know I need other types of support too, and hopefully SR will be one of them.
Thank u again xx
Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kiwi and welcome!

I totally agree with Lenina. Please go see your doctor. I stopped cold turkey by myself and that was the scariest, most stupid and dangerous thing I've ever done.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HI Kiwi, some folks can stop cold turkey, I did and I had little physical problems. That does not mean everyone can, each person's level of tolerance and such is different. See a Dr and let him/her know you are quitting.

good luck and stay in touch here!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
I agree with going to see a doctor.
I had night sweats, then, they turned into day sweats which was a sign of withdrawal. Sometimes I would be too sick to drink to get rid of them. Sweats especialy through the palms of my hands during the day. Soaked covers at night.

Sounds like you're taking steps to stay sober, and that's great. Be brutaly honest with your doctor and nurse, they've heard it all before so you're not the first.

Be safe an post as often as you like. I hope SR helps you as much as it has me.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had sheet-soaking night sweats for about 5 days. Last couple of nights have been much better. Your body is trying to get rid of all the toxins built up through the years I guess. Gotta drink lots of fluids, the dehydration makes you feel as bad as a hangover.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

If you have been going to meetings for years, then you likely know the drill. Depending on how much you drank, withdrawal may or may not be bad and yes there are different benzo's that will help. The only way to get through night sweats is to stop drinking and get through them. For me compared to a lot of things they were a minor inconvenience and for the most part gone after two or three days and my appetite returns. Not proud, but been through them several times when detoxing and it is I think more the rule for most rather than the exception. One thing for sure, if you go through them and then never drink again, that is one thing that you will not have to encounter at least from alcohol withdrawal. It is also a good time to drink plenty of fluids, i.e. water and probably a good time to look at eating a good healthy diet. Wish you the best, though no matter what type of help we get, it is ultimately up to us.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The night sweats disappear after a few days. It is glorious now to sleep throughout the night without them!