Notices

I'm free!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm free!

Hi guys,

I joined this site about a month ago feeling desperate and scared and thought my life was about to end. The days following were extremely difficult but I decided things really had to change.

I decided to get Allen Carr's "Easyway to Control Alcohol" off the bookshelf which was given to me a few years ago by my sister at Christmas (really should have taken the hint!)

That decision, I am now sure, was the best I have ever made and I can't believe I put off reading it for so long. I am now an ex-alcoholic and am sure I will never drink again.

I now feel exhilarated about getting on with the rest of my life without alcohol. I was skeptical about the rave reviews this book has but can now say that they are absolutely justified.

My self-respect is already coming back and the horrible memories of my alcohol-fueled despair are fading fast.

Please, please give it a chance - you've got nothing to lose but EVERYTHING to gain.

FREE YOURSELF!

P.S thank you to everyone on here who gave me such support during my withdrawal.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

I am glad things are going well. I have heard others say they like that book. Glad it helped you.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Livebird..thanks for the post. I actually just ordered Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Drinking a few days ago from Amazon. Should be arriving any day. Glad to hear that the information was so helpful!! I imagine his logic is the same in both books.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're feeling so good.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are better Liverbird - thanks for the post

D
Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jason Vale also has a book, very similar, and worth a read just to cement your freedom. Read the books every three months is other good advice.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LiverBird that is fantastic! I am extremely happy for your decision to arrest your illness, especially spreading the good word and helping others, but being selfish in a good way thank you more for helping me!

You are living in the solution...and I will check out that book...anything to help me along with sobriety is certainly worth doing.

We do recover, and though are alcoholism is in recovery, we can call ourselves ex-alcoholic, recovered alcoholic, once a drunk, so forth...

You are now free to do anything you want without your illness dictating it...

What you write is sincere and humble...and wanting that for others is a key to a lifelong journey of sobriety...

Enjoy the day...again you are FREE!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for sharing the good news - that's wonderful!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on your wonderful progress.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
Hi guys,

I joined this site about a month ago feeling desperate and scared and thought my life was about to end. The days following were extremely difficult but I decided things really had to change.

I decided to get Allen Carr's "Easyway to Control Alcohol" off the bookshelf which was given to me a few years ago by my sister at Christmas (really should have taken the hint!)

That decision, I am now sure, was the best I have ever made and I can't believe I put off reading it for so long. I am now an ex-alcoholic and am sure I will never drink again.

I now feel exhilarated about getting on with the rest of my life without alcohol. I was skeptical about the rave reviews this book has but can now say that they are absolutely justified.

My self-respect is already coming back and the horrible memories of my alcohol-fueled despair are fading fast.

Please, please give it a chance - you've got nothing to lose but EVERYTHING to gain.

FREE YOURSELF!

P.S thank you to everyone on here who gave me such support during my withdrawal.

Whoa, Whoa, whoa, slow it down there. You cant say "I will never drink again" this soon because it gives you a false sense of security and pride, which is dangerous for anyone with an addiction. Try and not get that far into the future, but live each day one at a time. You have a lot of work to do in recovery, but I am confident you can do it with the right tools and the right mindset. 1 month is fantastic, but you aren't out of the woods yet. For you to think so, may prove to be disastrous.

You need to keep your guard up at all times, for years to come. Thinking you have it beat so soon, may let you think you dont need to be as proactive or strong as you need to be to really get this to stick. There will be bumps in the road, there always is. Keep your head clear, learn as much as you can about your addiction, and never, EVER get to comfortable. That is the best advice I can give you. Research PAWS too, because it likes to rear its ugly head when you least expect it, but it helps to know what it is and that you are able to identify it. Right now you have the euphoria that comes when you are first sober, but you need to equip yourself with the necessary tools for when that high wears off. Sobriety is a great, GREAT way to live, dont get me wrong, but some days arent going to be that wonderful and the addiction likes to show up when you think it has left the building and start toying with your head and thought process. Be aware of that, and you can overcome it. God bless and keep at it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Awesome! I am actually morbidly intrigued to see if you can find an Avatar to match you Screen Name

Also something to be said for baby steps (be careful of self burnout) being good for a lot of us...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On the contrary, some people CAN say they will never drink again and 100% mean it, and do it. I was not one of them, I must have said it 50 times and meant it, but didnt do it.
Liverbird might very well be out of the woods for ever, who is to say? However, if a single thought ever comes into Liverbirds head about ever drinking again, he/she must immediately re read the book that has worked, and take your good advice immediately too.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
On the contrary, some people CAN say they will never drink again and 100% mean it, and do it. I was not one of them, I must have said it 50 times and meant it, but didnt do it.
Liverbird might very well be out of the woods for ever, who is to say? However, if a single thought ever comes into Liverbirds head about ever drinking again, he/she must immediately re read the book that has worked, and take your good advice immediately too.
I agree. Am pretty assured to say I won't drink today. And in sobriety I can say I will never drink again, but I don't. That's not my program. I choose ODAAT

and AA promises me, actual promises, that if I do my best and willing to work all of the steps I will recover from alcoholism and live the rest of my life sober.

There is a big difference when someone is actively using and promises never to drink or use again. Compared to someone who is solid in their recovery and helping others, taking care of themselves.

I can not disagree LiverBird (and not even my right) you are working a different program than I am. But like any program it usually boils down to not using no matter what and the willingness to help others.

I haven't yet, but I am intrigued by the book and will seek it out.

Best to you always
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your amazing support! I really appreciate it.

Without wishing to get into an argument about the best way to kick the drink, I would just like to reply to those who are wary (understandably) about the notion of an ex-alcoholic.

I now realise that it is in telling yourself that you are only one drink away from oblivion, and that you have an incurable disease, that the inevitable future failure is present.

I have been to the pub a few times since I read the book and have had no desire at all to drink. I have stayed till late and had thoroughly enjoyable evenings.

What most other experts say is that you have a choice between a life of drinking and the misery with which that is associated, or a satisfactory life where you feel deprived of something "normal" people can enjoy. What a bleak choice that is.

The real choice is a choice between drinking and misery or freedom and endless possibilities to enjoy the things that make you happy.

Obviously I cannot do the book any justice with a mere post but I just want to reiterate how grateful I am that I read it when I did.

I hope you too can experience the same joy I now feel at being free.

Good luck with all your different journey's - and thanks again!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes Alan Carr shows one what alcohol really is: a poison. And once you see it that way you don't feel deprived that you don't drink it. You feel sorry for those that still do. Good for you LB.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Whoa, Whoa, whoa, slow it down there. You cant say "I will never drink again" this soon because it gives you a false sense of security and pride, which is dangerous for anyone with an addiction.
Errrrrrr, maybe YOU can't say that but be assured it dang sure can be done and has been done for years and years well before anything like AA or any other recovery program existed.

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. That is as factual as knowing someday I will die.