Notices

Bring on the Past - Good and Bad, like a marriage

Old 06-09-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bring on the Past - Good and Bad, like a marriage

I've been here before, and I'm here again.....but will all those that have been here for years encouraging others post here? I need your words of encouragement, and so do many others. NO EXCUSES, NO SYMPATHY. I know it's a problem. I know I have triggers, and I know I have to identify those. I know I need help, and I'm working on that with my resources. But, I would so love to here success stories from those from the past. Please post here.....myself and others like me would love to hear from you.

One day at a time....I know it can be done.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
I've been here before, and I'm here again.....but will all those that have been here for years encouraging others post here? I need your words of encouragement, and so do many others. NO EXCUSES, NO SYMPATHY. I know it's a problem. I know I have triggers, and I know I have to identify those. I know I need help, and I'm working on that with my resources. But, I would so love to here success stories from those from the past. Please post here.....myself and others like me would love to hear from you.

One day at a time....I know it can be done.
Decades of alcohol and drug abuse.
Now in my 70s I am feeling much better.
I don't recommend a long chastening but its better late than never.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a wicked cycle....but it's up to us to improve our lives. We have to look at ourselves in the mirror and take responsibility for what we have done. I want to wake up each day and smile knowing....I did it again.... And I know there are so many here that say it can be done.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice to see you Marjoram .

I loved alcohol from the first sip. It seemed the perfect answer for my shyness & discontent with the world. It all started out being fun and happy. I never imagined that in the end I wouldn't be able to make a move without it - totally dependent. It ruined me and almost took my life away. Apparently I needed a lot of proof that it was destroying me - because it took me a long time to lay it down for good. 30 yrs. to be exact. Here I am, Marjoram, 5 yrs. & 5 mos. sober. I can't believe I used it to 'cope' for all those wasted years.

Yes, of course it can be done. I'm living proof.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Hevyn....this is what I needed to hear. And with furry kids as your Avatar, I can't help but smile. Pure innocence!

Please everyone else out there.....bring your positive words to this thread. I know it can be done, just need to "hear" it.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm now three and a half years sober and doing fine. I was an all day every day drinker and thought I could never stop. But I did and so can you.

I had the help of the people here and my addiction counselor and that's been all I need.

In case you want the details.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ory-least.html
Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, Least...and I remember you from my last go-around...you love your animals, too....just like Hevyn.

You know....it's not that I don't think I can do this, so much as I have to want to do this. And I'm at that point. I want to do it, therefore, I have to do it. Does that make sense?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you like the kids. Yes, you make sense.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

My drinking didn't start until my mid-forties, but, unknowingly I was set up to become an almost instant alcoholic. I had anxiety and depression from my teenage years on and it was never treated. My was to cope was to try to control my life and environment. But, when my kids became teens, as you might imagine that fell apart, and I fell apart. I started drinking and continued for 3 horrible years. I came close to losing my family and dying. But, I hit bottom, started to pull myself together and have been in recovery for 12 1/2 years.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been on this road for nearly 10 years - ups and downs. I truly believe my problem, started in my 30's. I've been very destructive to my body and I know I have to keep at this. I can't throw in the towel. There is no such thing as "I give up". I came back here, because I knew that there are many good people here that can inspire that it can be done. I know not everyone looks at it as "no sympathy, no excuses". But, that is the way I look at it. I know better, and I know sobriety can only make me a better person than what I am. Please everyone....bring your stories here, I'd love to hear them.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Majoram

You already know my story I think - I tried for 15 years - I was about as low as a person can go...but I came back

it's never never too late.
You just need to work out what you're going to do differently this time

Lots of stories here too:

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information