Notices

If alcohol were discovered today

Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

If alcohol were discovered today

Something my therapist said that has stuck with me is that if alcohol were discovered today, it would be considered a schedule two narcotic. I looked that up and learned that schedule two drugs include meth, cocaine, and OxyContin. I'm not sure where she got that info, but it makes sense, alcohol is a very strong drug. Thinking about that helps me put things in perspective.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never thought of it that way but that makes sense.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I agree with your therapist 1000%. When I first got sober, my doctor told me that alcohol and Formaldehyde were related and that medical science used it for preserving specimens.

The picture that my mind conjured up really scared the chit out of me, and to think I had been putting that in my body in copious amounts for years.

Prohibition was tried in this country and we all know how well that worked. It is currently being tried in certain 'villages' in Alaska and it does not seem to be working too well. They now have smugglers that continue to bring in alcohol until caught and charge $100.00 dollars for a pint bottle that they bought in legal areas of the state for $10.00 so it really isn't working there either.

And because it is fairly easy to make one's own it would, unfortunately be very difficult to classify as a Class 2 narcotic.

I personally over these years have dreamed that their could be a better way for all who have a problem with alcohol!

Maybe some day there will be.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I agree with your therapist 1000%. When I first got sober, my doctor told me that alcohol and Formaldehyde were related and that medical science used it for preserving specimens,
That must be where the phrase "he/she is pickled" came from
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. I like having that extra thought in my mind. I always did think of how people kill so many others a year driving drunk and yet it still is SO SO easy to obtain and abuse. Interesting...
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Something my therapist said that has stuck with me is that if alcohol were discovered today, it would be considered a schedule two narcotic. I looked that up and learned that schedule two drugs include meth, cocaine, and OxyContin. I'm not sure where she got that info, but it makes sense, alcohol is a very strong drug. Thinking about that helps me put things in perspective.
There is a chapter in Jason Vale's, Kick the Drink Easily! about this point. I agree with your therapist and also with the author.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

If there wasnt so much money to be made it in, I think the government would have banned it a long time ago. How it is legal is beyond me. It effects your judgment, is obviously addictive, causes motor vehicle and boating accidents in the thousands every year, and is one of the leading causes of death in America. Its chemical makeup is extremely toxic and changes your brain chemistry, just like any of the super illegal street drugs. Im not sure why its legal?