Notices

Twenty Four Hours a Day for 6/09/13

Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Twenty Four Hours a Day for 6/09/13

Thought for the Day

We finally came to the bottom. We did not have to be financially broke, although many of us were. But we were spiritually bankrupt. We had a soul sickness, a revulsion against ourselves and against our way of living. Life had become impossible for us. We had to end it all or do something about it. Am I glad I did something about it?

Meditation for the Day

Faith is not seeing, but believing. I am in a box of space and time and cannot see spacelessness or eternity. But God is not within the shell of time and space. He is timeless and spaceless. He cannot be fully comprehended by our finite minds. But we must try to make a union between our purposes and the purposes of God. By trying to merge our minds with the mind of God, a oneness of purpose results. This oneness of purpose puts us in harmony with God and others. Evil comes from being in disharmony with God and good comes from being in harmony with Him.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may be in harmony with God. I pray that I may get into the stream of goodness in the universe.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kathleen41 View Post
We finally came to the bottom. We did not have to be financially broke, although many of us were. But we were spiritually bankrupt. We had a soul sickness, a revulsion against ourselves and against our way of living. Life had become impossible for us. We had to end it all or do something about it. Am I glad I did something about it?
Honestly....last night I had some difficulty being "glad I did something about it." Drinking was such a big part of my life with my spouse and it seems there is a void where that used to be. We used to visit our local hangouts, drink, eat, drink, chat with friends, drink, play some games, drink, get into a big fight, drink.....and so on. My disease was lying to me, trying to convince me I miss the old times!!

I easily slip into fear, and if I am not careful, the fear will lead me to a drink, For example: I fear that me and my husband will never get along and just enjoy life. I fear that if I'm not drinking he will get bored and leave, I fear that our friends won't like me sober, etc...

So I had a pity party, but it was short lived. Then I got up, took a bubble bath. And took my husband out to a beach meeting at 10pm. He tought it was great because he could smoke his cigar at the meeting!!

Originally Posted by Kathleen41 View Post
Faith is not seeing, but believing. I am in a box of space and time and cannot see spacelessness or eternity. But God is not within the shell of time and space. He is timeless and spaceless. He cannot be fully comprehended by our finite minds. But we must try to make a union between our purposes and the purposes of God. By trying to merge our minds with the mind of God, a oneness of purpose results.
Having faith that God has this is still a struggle for me. Seven months into sobriety, with my teenage son not living with and barely talking to me, strain on my marriage, and a low grade depression, I sometimes wonder if I am any better off than I was. Of course I know I am. It is so difficult to be patient and wait for the miracles. It is so difficult for me to wait on God's time. I am learning that everytime I try to force my solution, or control someone, I make the situation worse. I just need to pray and wait most of the time. Difficult to do for an overacheiver. Praying isn't doing nothing. I can only be effective if my purpose is in line with God's purpose for me, if I don't pray and wait patiently, I can't figure it out.

Simple, but not easy.