Notices

New here. Have to make a change.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Have to make a change.

Hi. My drinking has got to stop! Ive been a drinker since I was 16, although back then it was just on one or two night at the weekend, and really that continued until I was about 26. In that time span I was smoking and doing illegal drugs, never during the week tho.

I easily kicked the drugs, just got so sick of feeling low. Smoking was a lot tougher although I finally kicked that too almost a year ago.

Drinking however has started to get a real grip on me. Since last year I have been drinking almost every day, in work, at home and even out driving.

Right now Im sitting here with the worst hangover Ive had in a long, long time. All day Im sitting feeling sorry for myself. I have two beautiful kids aged 4 and 6 and I really NEED to stop.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!

Well done on doing so well with everything else! You can stop the drinking too. What do you think is getting in the way of you stopping drinking?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had terrible Anxiety, and drinking really helps for a few hours, then causes more anxiety. Vicious circle.

I have just started seeing a psychologist who has recommended that I get a low dose of something, but I have not followed up with that.

Thats probably my next step.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome JohnDee! You found a great place where we all understand.

I drank to help calm myself and cope with life - and you're right - it just makes everything worse. In the end, I was completely dependent on it and drank every day. My life was in ruins. It was so much easier to stop all together than to pretend I had control over the amounts I drank. I hope you'll find the support you're looking for by being here.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi John

that's the thing about alcohol - it makes you think it's helping but in the long run it's actually making your anxiety worse.

I agree with you it's time to make a change - both for you and those two little kids
Don't wait on that change - start today - are you thinking of real life support as well - AA or some other recovery methods?

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

You mentioned a psychologist - how soon is your next appointment?

D
Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DAB

Welcome to SR!
I decided to quit when my 5 year old daughter started making comments about my drinking. She's now 7 and acts like she doesn't recall my drinking at all. It was the best choice I ever made.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys.

@dee My next appointment is this Friday.