Notices

want to change

Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

want to change

im not sure if im doing this right or if this is even going to helpbut i thought i would try it. im scared im going to loss everything wife kids all of it if i dont quit i really hate being that person who cant stop drinking after i start i hide it from her till i pass out or dont remember anything i want to be a better person so this is day two of no drinking i want to be the right kind of father and husband they deserve so i thought i could come here for some emothional support thanks for listening
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I'm glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of support here. What sort of plan do you have to stay sober? AA, counseling, outpatient treatment - do you have a plan to stay sober?

I've stayed sober over three years now with the help of this site and my counselor. And I once thought I was hopeless but I'm not. Neither are you.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks

well right now i was gonna go to to my church and see if they have anything to help cause i trust them and was gonna start a diary about why im still doing it and why its better
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome JVET! You found a great place - one that helped me quit after drinking for 30 yrs. The support, friendship, and encouragement here is amazing. We all understand how you're feeling.

I was like you - I had no off switch. I'd intend to have just one or two, but it was always drinking until drunk or passed out. I finally had to admit there was no control once it got in my system - and it was easier to just stop all together. You can do it. We're glad you're here.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, JVET. Glad you are here.

Good idea on the journal. Some of the stuff I wrote in the fog of a binge has been incredibly helpful to me in understanding my thought processes and identifying some things I needed to address or make peace with. Great tool.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome JVET!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep reaching out for support JVET. The first few days of detox suck but life gets better after that. Life has some curve balls for sure but it is soooooooooooo much easier to handle without the alcohol. I do hope you give sobriety a chance....it is a much better way to live!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello JVET
I too am on Day 2...and I'm scared
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know i can do it just have to set my mind to it casue if i dont i will loss my family so no choice in it
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Trying to make some big changes that will make my wife love her life again just told her to go back to school so she is not so bored at home and hopefully we have more to talk about then
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey JVET...is the problem with your relationship..your drinking or her boredom and lack of things to talk about? You said a mouthful there.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well theres alot my drinking just makes it worse shes bored cause she has to stay at home with the kids all the time i was hiding my drinking which is wrong completly so when i got home she would want to go out so only thing to do around me is hit bars so maybe if she goes to school she wont want to go out at night im the one who always suggest it but becasue there nothing else going on and i hated her bored
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well what will you do at night if she goes to school? Does she know about your drinking and desire to quit now or are you keeping that from her? Are there no movie theatres around? Maybe you could take some sort of class together? Cooking maybe? I dunno...sobriety is a pretty big undertaking..is she in on it?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

yes well she found out the other day i was hiding it when i passed out drunk well shes gonna go to class during day time and will be off when im off we have young kids so going out is hard anyways so if she has something to do during day she might not be so bored and want to go out just stay at home with kids and i dont want my son to see me like that ever again
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well it's good that she knows what you're trying to do. Staying sober has to be your priority above all else. You have to look after you and she has to look after her. You can't fix her hon..anymore than she can fix you. It's wonderful that you care about her well being and want to be a good husband and father for your son. You will do that sober. You obviously support her but she has to figure out what will make her happy. You can't do that you can only support her efforts to do so.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well she has been saying she wants to do this ive just been putting it off cause i dont know what to do with the son but i guess ill just go put him in daycare
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey JVET

Welcome aboard - grab an oar and join the good ship SR.

Something you might want to do in the early days is just have a read around the different ways people have got help with sobriety. Some go to AA, some just come here, some use AVRT (for the first few months here I assumed that was just a radio station they listened to, but apparently there's more to it than that), etc.

A couple of resource I found useful are:

A large collection of AA speaker tapes for downloading: XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

An old but excellent talk on alcoholism: Father Martin's "Chalk Talk on Alcoholism" on Vimeo

God bless +

Michael
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well that sounds like a solution : ) Look at you figuring things out already! Bravo.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yea just gonna cost us a little more money and thanks for the post on the tapes ill check them out
Old 06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome JVET

D