Notices

Hi, I'm new to this site....

Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new to this site....

I'm an alcoholic and I've been sober since 6/14/2010. I don't hang out with as many people that I used to. Only a few friends now, but I still spend alot of time alone at home.

I've been very bored and would like to meet new people. I haven't been to AA in about 2.5 years. I'm 29 years old and most of the people in there are in their 40's-50's+. I would like to meet people closer to my age that don't want to drink on all their free time.

I still hang out with a few friends that drink, I stay sober. It's fun to hang out with them, but I get tired of being around drinking.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am way out of your age group but others will be along. Keep posting; it keeps your name on the first page. WELCOME!!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
I am way out of your age group but others will be along. Keep posting; it keeps your name on the first page. WELCOME!!
Thank you, I would like to talk with people of any age on this site.
I would like to meet people close to my age to hang out with that live near me(Amarillo, TX).

I would like to get married someday, but I have a hard time meeting new people now. Before, when I was drinking, most girls weren't interested because I was very drunk on most of my free time/days off work.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

Have you tried different groups in your area? Here I have been to some with mostly younger people, middle aged, and elderly folks. You just have to shop around a little.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Have you tried different groups in your area? Here I have been to some with mostly younger people, middle aged, and elderly folks. You just have to shop around a little.
I might see if I can find some info on that. When I went to rehab in a city 2 hours away, we went to different meetings and seems like the Narcotics Anonymous had more young people. I just don't know what the NA meetings think of alcoholics going to them. Is it acceptable? I went to the NA meetings with a large group from the rehab, so I'm not sure their opinion of alcoholics attending NA meetings.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amtx29 View Post
I'm an alcoholic and I've been sober since 6/14/2010. I don't hang out with as many people that I used to. Only a few friends now, but I still spend alot of time alone at home.

I've been very bored and would like to meet new people. I haven't been to AA in about 2.5 years. I'm 29 years old and most of the people in there are in their 40's-50's+. I would like to meet people closer to my age that don't want to drink on all their free time.

I still hang out with a few friends that drink, I stay sober. It's fun to hang out with them, but I get tired of being around drinking.
If you keep hanging around AA you will live a happy life and be one of those 40-50 folks (I turned 69 last Friday, would have died in 1989 without AA)

I dined at The Big Texan in 1969.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-02-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
If you keep hanging around AA you will live a happy life and be one of those 40-50 folks (I turned 69 last Friday, would have died in 1989 without AA)

All the best.

Bob R
Did you try the 72oz steak challenge? haha

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome amtx. There are many here in your age group, but I'm not one of them. I'm glad you joined us. Congratulations on your almost 3 years sober! That's wonderful. I hope you'll keep posting - we're happy to meet you.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

ICYPAA - Home

Call and ask about Young People in AA meetings:

District III
Old 06-02-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome amtx

what kinds of hobbies and interests do you have - that can often be a good way to meet new people too?

D
Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amtx29 View Post
Did you try the 72oz steak challenge? haha

Thanks for the advice
I will admit that I was drunk for most of that route 66 trip but not quite THAT drunk.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

and congrats on your sober time. This is a great site for support. You might want to try the chat room too. It's at the right side of the top blue bar.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It can be intimidating, but I would recommend taking classes in things that interest you. I recently took a photography class and there were definitely 20-somethings in it. And no one was drinking! Grats on almost 3 years!!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are tons of people in your age group in AA at least there are in MI. Try some different meetings.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

IMO, AA is about recovery from alcoholism - not a social affair. It probably makes sense to worry primarily about recovering THEN you can focus on your social life.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
IMO, AA is about recovery from alcoholism - not a social affair. It probably makes sense to worry primarily about recovering THEN you can focus on your social life.
Yes I understand that. I've been sober for almost 3 years now. It would be nice to meet people at AA that are closer to my age though
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome - thanks for your post, really hit home for me. I'm in my late 30's but just got sober last year. Oddly, I've had the opposite problem - the AA meetings in my area were chock full of 20-somethings, it almost felt like a college mixer when I attended and it made me nervous and uncomfortable. A lot of preening and posturing, you could easily identify the "cool kids" and the "wanna-bes". Yeesh.

The closest thing I've had to a fulfilling social life lately has been spending my free time in cafes. I find that any time of day, you'll usually find coffee houses are full of interesting people. And they're certainly social - after all, if the patrons didn't want to meet and mingle, they'd have just had coffee at home, right?

Anyway, not sure what the Amarillo cafe scene is, but it's the best advice I have for you. If you have any luck or have other ideas, I'm all ears - despite my best efforts I am also quite lonely here in my sobriety.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Welcome - thanks for your post, really hit home for me. I'm in my late 30's but just got sober last year. Oddly, I've had the opposite problem - the AA meetings in my area were chock full of 20-somethings, it almost felt like a college mixer when I attended and it made me nervous and uncomfortable. A lot of preening and posturing, you could easily identify the "cool kids" and the "wanna-bes". Yeesh.

The closest thing I've had to a fulfilling social life lately has been spending my free time in cafes. I find that any time of day, you'll usually find coffee houses are full of interesting people. And they're certainly social - after all, if the patrons didn't want to meet and mingle, they'd have just had coffee at home, right?

Anyway, not sure what the Amarillo cafe scene is, but it's the best advice I have for you. If you have any luck or have other ideas, I'm all ears - despite my best efforts I am also quite lonely here in my sobriety.
Thank you for the suggestions. I haven't really been inside cafes much here. This town has about 190,000 people but I don't know how the coffee places are. What state do you live in?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Amtx,
At 3 years sober I'd be ready to be meeting people and dating too. I don't know about your part of the country but where I live tons of people do the online dating. I've done it and had a great time meeting nice people. I would definitely stick to that one major site and stay away from the free ones if its all new to you. There are tons of people out there who aren't into bars and drinking. They probably even have one for people who don't drink if thats what you want. Who knows? I've been dating someone for over a year and we met that way so I haven't checked it out.

The way to do it if you are interested is always meet in a public place. Coffee shops are good and go into it with just the attitude that worst case scenario is you meet a new person and maybe even a new friend. I met 3 great friends who I still stay in contact with and at that time we weren't matches but we just really liked each other as friends. They set me up with their friends too. My friend group expanded. Then I met someone I clicked with. You are young but not a kid so I'm sure you know what you are looking for and know how to do it responsibly.

Just something to consider but it may not be your thing. The other suggestions are good ones too.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Hi Amtx,
At 3 years sober I'd be ready to be meeting people and dating too. I don't know about your part of the country but where I live tons of people do the online dating. I've done it and had a great time meeting nice people. I would definitely stick to that one major site and stay away from the free ones if its all new to you. There are tons of people out there who aren't into bars and drinking. They probably even have one for people who don't drink if thats what you want. Who knows? I've been dating someone for over a year and we met that way so I haven't checked it out.

The way to do it if you are interested is always meet in a public place. Coffee shops are good and go into it with just the attitude that worst case scenario is you meet a new person and maybe even a new friend. I met 3 great friends who I still stay in contact with and at that time we weren't matches but we just really liked each other as friends. They set me up with their friends too. My friend group expanded. Then I met someone I clicked with. You are young but not a kid so I'm sure you know what you are looking for and know how to do it responsibly.

Just something to consider but it may not be your thing. The other suggestions are good ones too.
Yes, I think I need to try a dating site where you have to pay. I have tried free dating sites and it hasn't worked out too well. Thank you for the suggestions