Notices

Feeling like a Crazy Person today

Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like a Crazy Person today

Grateful I made it to my meeting tonight. I am completely out of sorts today.

I am a 52 year old woman and going thru some changes if u know what I mean. I am irritable, so irritable today.

I usually never, I mean never lose my temper and I try to think before I speak and I am normally a pretty calm person. Today I just blew my top with somone I really care about. I feel like I have no control over the changes going on in my body.

If someone had witnessed my behavior today they would have been appalled. I was just snapping at my family and being so negative.

I felt shakey and nervous all day and I was trying to think what I would tell someone else if they were in my shoes right now.

I'd say Go to a meeting and talk about it. Call your sponsor. Pray. Get out of yourself and do something nice for someone else. Make a quick amends to the person you hurt. What step are you working?

So I went to an Anniversary meeting, I brought the celebrant a balloon and cookies. I shared how I was feeling . I called my sponsor. I made an amends to the person I hurt.

Normally in the past that would have put me back into a good place. But I still feel like a crazy person. I want to punch a door.

Ever have that kind of restless energy where you felt like you want to punch something. Kinda like that restless leg syndrome but all over your body.

I just realized I didn't pray. Geesh that should have been first. Please pray for me. I am not liking myself very much today but I am grateful for one thing. At no time today did I think alcohol or drugs would be a solution and for me that is progress.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Discuss it with a close friend, maybe someone outside of AA even. A ten minute mindfulness meditation helps. Escaping through some entertainment. Reading spiritual literature. Working out. These are all tools i use.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Pray !

Usually when I find my thoughts turning to anger -- at people, places, things . . . even myself -- I find, as you did, that I forgot to pray. Sometimes anger is appropriate. but, when I'm angry, how can I know that reacting in anger is not justified or that I am overreacting? Perhaps I'll develop that sort of wisdom some day.

I have a morning routine that can get out of kilter when I wake up earlier or later than I usually do. Invariably, the day does not go as smoothly for me when I don't say a few simple prayers. Lack of humility, anger, self-will and other "defects" of character seem to plague me much less . . . when I remember to pray. I still forget occasionally. Perhaps, I need reminding of what life without conscious contact with my HP can be like.

I can't pretend to identify with your recent changes, deeker. But, as a Manic-depressive alcoholic who recently developed major heart problems, I have been blessed with three recoveries. That may sound sarcastic or facetious, but so true when we consider the alternative(s) to recovery . . .

Sometimes a simple prayer of gratitude is in order.

Thank God.

~dox
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am 51 in a few weeks.
I understand.
And so does God.

Lotsa Love to you, Deeker,
EQ.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Also, please get an appointment with your doctor, sounds like a BIG hormonal imbalance right now, which would be logical since you said:

I am a 52 year old woman and going thru some changes if u know what I mean.

And yes, you can become "restless, irritable, and discontented" during this rough period.

The fact that you:

At no time today did I think alcohol or drugs would be a solution and for me that is progress.
is EXCELLENT!!!!!

Sometimes, our 'problems' cannot be solved by Calling Sponsor, going to a meeting and sharing, pray and meditation, etc Sometimes we have to bring a Doctor into the picture.

I hope you will call you doctor on Monday!!

Love and hugs,
Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

easy does it
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I too can't relate to the changes a 52 yr old woman would be going through...ha ha...but I agree with what Laurie said. My wife has had some of those changes (fun times) and had angry outburst come out of nowhere and was worried because it was directed at me and the children. Sort of out-of-nowhere kind of stuff. So she went to the doctor, as Laurie mentioned, and she took some meds (low level anti-depressants) for a very short time and it really helped. I mean, really helped. No matter how much yoga, inspirational reading, mediation, etc she did, it didn't help...or helped just minimally. I am not a pill pusher, but sometimes it might be good to rule anything else out.

And yeah, praying isn't a bad thing either
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PERFECT share....!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

Aw deek, I completely understand. Been there. I agree with Laurie....sometimes a doc is in order. I couldn't pray or exercise myself out of my own "crazy " ( although it did help somewhat.).

Hang in there friend...it does pass
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Saying a little prayer for you.. Take a nice walk or a hike.. Being outside always helps me.. Hope you're having a better day today!! Keep your chin up.. Manure happens!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fraankie View Post
easy does it
Dont think don't drink and go to meetings?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im 52 also I already did all the change thing but it wasn't fun at times. I will pray for you.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Deeker

It sounds hormonal to me, I would see a doctor to confirm this.

I am prone to road rage which I am fairly successfully in controlling by being mindful and mumbling the serenity prayer under my breath. Recently I have started doing a yoga nidra in the morning before I start the day. This takes about 25 minutes and it's a relation exercise.
Just google yoga nidra audio.
It's great that you are talking about it though and not picking up a drink over it.

Love
CaiHong
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling a bit better now Deeker. We all have our 'off' days and 'crazy' moments. Please tell me that's not just me....!

Good suggestions to visit your Doc, they can test hormone levels and treat you.

Be kind to yourself xx
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Alraihani View Post
Dont think don't drink and go to meetings?
Easy now...
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nearly always when I am angry, I am truly angry at something going on in the present. I used to not be able to identify it, because I didn't want to admit I was (That makes sense to some of us. lol)

One day, I thought.....For heaven's sakes, only God is here, and whatever it is is already known. Get honest with yourself!

Sure enough......I became quite clear on what my anger was really about. I was able to name it, and I eventually learned to handle it.

What was absolutely freeing was not avoiding. The hormonal stuff can sure add fuel to the flame, of course.

Easy does it is great suggestion!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Easy now...
Sorry