Notices

Summer is near ...

Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Summer is near ...

One of my favorite times to go out to the bars or the beach or parties, especially pool parties .. Here in southern Cali and get drunk. I've been sober 5 and a half months. But it's beginning to feel like summer now as its warming up, and school is over in a couple weeks which means more free time. I have to admit the thought scares me and I hope to be able to get through it sober. Ill continue to come here for support as the challenge arrives.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The approaching summer scares me too!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear ya! I have never gone the whole summer without drinking and cravings hit when I see outdoor restaurants, attend cookouts, or simply sit on my back patio on a nice evening. Hopefully, some people with experience can give us some advice/suggestions? Thanks for t the post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always a ton of support here guys

D
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think nicer weather is a trigger for a lot of people. However, there are also a lot more things to do outside that don't involve alcohol when its nicer out, such as going to the beach and eating an ice cream cone instead of drinking a beer, going hiking on new trails, farmers markets, amusement parks, planting a garden, etc. Its also a great time of year to start an exercise program if you haven't already, I tend to want to drink a lot less when I'm living healthier overall.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll have to change your whole attitude about summer fun. Experience it all sober, you'll remember everything the next day and won't feel horrible either.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with least, think about real summer fun -- swimming, cycling, walking, picnicking, lazing with a book, fresh fruit in sparkling water, fruit kebabs, ice cream ......
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit drinking in June 2012. The thing I remember best, was how wonderful those summer mornings were - completely fresh and remembering everything from the night before. I walked a lot and lost weight
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Done My fist sober summer last year..all I can say , its all in the mind You are not missing nothing, just think you are. Life Is better sober, much better.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I'm both scared and looking forward to this summer.

I do drive past patio bars a little too slowly...a little too longingly.

I do like the idea of no hangovers and waking up enjoying my summer days and not suffering through them.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, Summer, the warm weather and thunderstorms are big triggers for me. Anything "Summer". Bullfrogs get my mind wandering to thoughts of drinking/drugs. That being said, I'm on my first vacation since I stopped drinking/using ... so far so good. I'm having so much more fun! I actually have enough energy to go out and have fun. So, it's doable. Actually it's wonderful!!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think you're all very wise to be concerned - and to see the temptation coming. You won't be caught off guard. I remember my first sober summer after drinking for decades. I'd been sober 6 months. I was so sorry for myself. Felt like I'd be missing out. Then I thought about how it was before I quit. Who was I kidding? I wasn't having fun and enjoying myself - I was out of control, blacking out, hungover, numb, foggy and stupid. I was a danger to myself and others. So NOT fun.

Be proud of yourselves for being smarter than me. I caused so much destruction in my life because I didn't prepare for the triggers. By the way, the first summer was a challenge in the beginning - but the next one wasn't at all. It does get easier and better as you go along.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks to those of you who have replied with advice and I should enjoy a lot of the sober activities that the beautiful outdoors has to offer during the summer time. And I also am looking forward to not dealing with hangovers ! I'm going to stay as busy as possible each summer day with sober activities .. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is scared to enter the summer for the fear of drinking. I think that fear should show us how much we really care about staying sober and continue to do our best to remain that way. Also, knowing there's a lot of us, we should stick together to get through the summer of '13 sober !!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I live in the upper midwest where snow is common 6 months a year.

A summer day spent hungover lying in bed is a terrible thing to waste.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I worked on a landscaping project two days ago (day 4 for me). It was hot outside and I accomplished a lot. It was hard to go with the mindset that I didn't need a beer as soon as I finished (or while working), but I was thankful in the morning that I hadn't caved.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a little nervous too but I have a lot of support here & in 3D so I'm going to rely on my sober friends to help me through my first summer sober. Planning lots of fun outdoor weekend activities too
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm with ya there Sober. Now that summer is approaching, I have another trigger to contend with. I lived in LA for years. Back in Ireland now and summers are rare, unfortunately, but in away, that suits me this year! Will take on board all the great advice here. I am planning to continue meetings/med class and volunteering, as I need to keep busy on those bright long evenings, otherwise....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Beer gardens were my favourite. WERE. I feel I am in a totally different frame of mind now. I can go on a nice picnic instead somewhere and get the exact same enjoyment and feeling. Right?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have succeeded in fishing without beer... Yippee
I agree the summer will be hard this year, but worth it like all have said. Thanks everyone for the reminders