Notices

Sober and Prescribed Benzos

Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and Prescribed Benzos

Hi all,
It's been a long time but I'm back. I've been (mostly) sober from booze for nine months (totally clean for a while, a few minor-ish stumbles along the way, then sober again).
After quitting I've had bad anxiety. It's daily, sometimes starting the moment I wake up, and a few panic attacks to boot. I've been under the care of a psychiatrist for a long time. After trying a couple meds that just didn't work, he put me on a small dose of Klonopin. I take it exactly as prescribed, and the stuff works great. But therein lies the problem...I use it regularly. Part of me thinks that this is potentially dangerous. On the other hand, it's properly prescribed by a doctor, and it successfully treats a legitimate medical problem.
I thought I'd turn to my old friends at soberrecovery for advice. Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a difficult decision. Yes, it's prescribed by your dr (who you trust?), but not all drs understand addiction. Have you talked about your concerns with your dr?

There are also lots of non-medication ways to deal with anxiety that could help. "From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett is a great book on how to deal with anxiety without medication. It's also well-known that breathing techniques, such as Belly Breathing, can help anxiety.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Speak with your Dr and share your concerns SM.

If you're not satisfied with the response, I think it would do no harm to get a second opinion

D
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also taking benzos for anxiety and i think i'm more addicted to them than i was with the alcohol. Now I'm in a panic because i'm not sure if i can ever stop taking them now, it's been about 10 years.
Like Anna pointed out, there are other ways to deal with anxiety, self hypnosis/deep relaxation, meditation.

Without trying to scare you, I would think carefully before going down the benzo route, they are amazing for anxiety in the short term, but in the long term they will most likely make your anxiety 100 times worse.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it makes you worry than I think these things should be talked with your pdoc AND a talk therapist to keep you accountable. I personally have GAD, panic disorder, ADHD and depression. (Yes, quite a mess...) I personally have told my pdoc and therapist about my addictive nature and don't have any issue with taking anxiety and ADHD meds (downers and uppers). With the right dosage, neither trigger alcohol cravings. I got in trouble with opiates recently as it helped me deal with work stress (while relieving very real pain). Once I didn't have the opiates, I moved back to booze to compensate for the 'warm hug' that opiates had been giving me. Stupidly I never thought to up my, at this point, non existent benzo usage to compensate. We always play our own doctors to bad result. And sometimes well meaning doctors can also do the same.

Sorry, rambling....anxiety is a very real affliction. This can also be controlled with a more long term ssri. My panic attacks are mostly gone with a low dose of lexapro....unless I drink and then I might as well be taking nothing. I also have a colleague who has taken the exact same dose of valium for 10 years with great results, so not all folks have issues with benzo tolerance. And truly, exercise is such a great way of relieving anxiety. If you are physically able, I would highly suggest it. If you have mobility issues, try swimming.

If you 'like' the feeling of the klonopin, I would definitely be cautious as that's a tell tale sign of a future issue down the road.