Notices

I love AA

Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love AA

I was so scared of AA before I tried it, but I honestly can say I LOVE going to meetings. It is the highlight of my day to see these strong and caring people. Love the fellowship it delivers. If you need help, just go to a meeting and ask and you will be helped. It's medicine for me now.

I look forward to someday being able to offer help.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same way about AA!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maples View Post
I was so scared of AA before I tried it, but I honestly can say I LOVE going to meetings. It is the highlight of my day to see these strong and caring people. Love the fellowship it delivers. If you need help, just go to a meeting and ask and you will be helped. It's medicine for me now.

I look forward to someday being able to offer help.

Awesome I am always thrilled when someone gets unstuck and gets to a AA meeting and finds what they were looking for all along. Someone who finally understands them. I just wish more would put the skeptisism away. And at least go a few times.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

welcoming a newcomer is something you can do!

saying hello, offering a talk or a phone number, or letting them know how you stayed stopped for today.....

Hugs,
~SB
Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's why I started this thread. I once was a skeptic but am now faithful to AA meetings. I wish I tried it years ago. I hope a skeptic reads this and tries it sooner rather than later. Lonely? Depressed? Sick? Go to AA. And don't worry if you look unwell, they will accept you with open arms. Let them help you. Everyone there has felt like you do early in recovery, they will understand and will not judge.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, and make a point to ask for help. Best piece of advice I can offer. Find an old timer, introduce yourself, tell them you are new, and that you need help.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup, AA has been wonderful for me. For sobriety, life, making real friends. I don't love everyone in the rooms but I have a respect for them & would help any fellow member. Awesome program, glad it's helping you!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agreed, it took me a long time to walk through the doors but it's helped me immensely. I have made some great friends and found a non-drinking social life. Who woulda thunk!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. I totally endorse something that works and that is AA. It works when we work it. Over the years it's so great to see the progress of people and see all their accomplishments. BE WELL
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Admission...

Along the lines of AA and the wonderful success stories in this thread, I have some words to say. I signed up for this Forum some months ago with all the good intentions of never drinking again but that only lasted a couple of days. The power of alcohol is amazingly evident as I have discovered in my previous attempts to quit. But to the point, a recovering, post rehab, self proclaimed "addict" friend asked me to join her one evening (about a month ago) for an AA meeting. Perhaps it was fate or maybe she recognized that I had a problem, nevertheless I attended as a guest and following the second meeting, have not had a glass (or bottle) of wine. I struggle with the spiritual component although I realize that it is essential; I simply just am not sure what role that plays in my life at this time. I do recognize that I cannot drink like a normal person and once I start I cannot stop, therefore I would consider myself to be an alcoholic but that is where the problem lies: I want to become a member, help others and be helped, not simply be a spectator. I have no problem sharing my story and my successes and/or failures but there is one thing that I cannot seem to wrap my head around. I have a hard time starting any/every comment or question with the words, "Hello my name is ... And I am an Alcoholic". To maintain my daily pursuit of sobriety, I read chapters of the Big Book as well as the stories told by others on this Forum. I am surrounded by others that drink but when asked why I'm not drinking, I tell them that I have stomach problems and take medicine that would be unsafe to mix with alcohol. Seems I'm not willing to make admission to others but acknowledge the fact myself. I guess the problem may be that I will likely require the help of others to be successful, however I can't seem to let my guard down, or not really sure that I want to. I have not had a drink for 3 weeks now and I would like to never have another. I'm just wondering if others feel or have felt the same?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gottachng View Post
Along the lines of AA and the wonderful success stories in this thread, I have some words to say. I signed up for this Forum some months ago with all the good intentions of never drinking again but that only lasted a couple of days. The power of alcohol is amazingly evident as I have discovered in my previous attempts to quit. But to the point, a recovering, post rehab, self proclaimed "addict" friend asked me to join her one evening (about a month ago) for an AA meeting. Perhaps it was fate or maybe she recognized that I had a problem, nevertheless I attended as a guest and following the second meeting, have not had a glass (or bottle) of wine. I struggle with the spiritual component although I realize that it is essential; I simply just am not sure what role that plays in my life at this time. I do recognize that I cannot drink like a normal person and once I start I cannot stop, therefore I would consider myself to be an alcoholic but that is where the problem lies: I want to become a member, help others and be helped, not simply be a spectator. I have no problem sharing my story and my successes and/or failures but there is one thing that I cannot seem to wrap my head around. I have a hard time starting any/every comment or question with the words, "Hello my name is ... And I am an Alcoholic". To maintain my daily pursuit of sobriety, I read chapters of the Big Book as well as the stories told by others on this Forum. I am surrounded by others that drink but when asked why I'm not drinking, I tell them that I have stomach problems and take medicine that would be unsafe to mix with alcohol. Seems I'm not willing to make admission to others but acknowledge the fact myself. I guess the problem may be that I will likely require the help of others to be successful, however I can't seem to let my guard down, or not really sure that I want to. I have not had a drink for 3 weeks now and I would like to never have another. I'm just wondering if others feel or have felt the same?
Here Here!! I feel the same way. I will be going to my 9th meeting tonight (8 days sober) and when I speak I cant say what I know I am .... but you know what its ok it dosent matter I know in my heart . I think for me is cause my dad and brother and uncles and countless others in my family were the alcholholic the drunks now how the heck did I get here! I am trying to not get stuck on the "label" all I know is I have chosen sobriety and I am going to do the best I can one minute of a time to stay in the moment. AA is huge for me and people who say they dont want to try it for the religion thing are missing out on so much. There are many people who go who are struggling with the religion thing that get so much out of the meetings. Hey its keeping them sober. Sometimes you have to fake it till you make it.
Great job on your sobriety!!
Angie
PS I too struggle with religion but my "higher power" are my 3 kids who need me. The rest I know will come oneday
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also look forward to going to AA meetings. I go at least 5 days a week. One BB meeting, 2 mini-lead/discussion and 2 regular lead meetings. I am looking for step meetings as well but most are to late at night or to far away.

I struggle with the spiritual component although I realize that it is essential; I simply just am not sure what role that plays in my life at this time.
I am six weeks sober and this is how I feel. I am trying though. I picked up a The Upper Room monthly devotional guide at the church that hosts most of the AA meetings I go to. I heard about it from an AA manual that was written in the 40's. I had no idea what it was. I assumed it was some old church leaflet of some sort.

I was walking out of a meeting and I happen to glance at the church literature as I was walking by and there it was for .75 cents a copy so I bought one. It was sort of spooky. I was just reading about a few hours earlier.

It is quite interesting. It has a daily story, inspirational quote and a thought for the day for two months. It is online too. I keep it in my truck and read it at lunch. It is helping.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a hard time starting any/every comment or question with the words, "Hello my name is ... And I am an Alcoholic".
I love that everyone does this. It accomplishes two very important things for me.

1. You get to learn people's names. The response me saying with everyone else of "Hi johnny" marks your face with my brain.

2. The first step of recovery is fully admitting you are indeed powerless over alcohol (once you start drinking you cannot stop). By my saying I am an alcoholic, it reinforces the powerlessness.

Just got back from my home group. Loved every minute of it. If you truly want to quit, the brotherhood is unbelievably important.

Tomorrow and Wed will be 2 meetings a day for me. Meeting @ 7am to kick the tires, off to work, meeting at 7 pm.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alva View Post
Agreed, it took me a long time to walk through the doors but it's helped me immensely. I have made some great friends and found a non-drinking social life. Who woulda thunk!
Amen. I am rebuilding a social life, which I needed. My alcoholism pushed so many out of my life, my recovery is bringing them back and adding a ton of sober ones.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I love my home group. I have one meeting I really like I can go to every day and it feels really good not to be alone. I drank alone so I need other people to recover, for me isolation is a killer and AA is my lifeboat.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bump for my love of AA, it is saving my life one meeting at a time..

South Boston has so many recovering alcoholics. It is incredible.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is my medicine as well and always will be. leaving for a meeting shortly
Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is brilliant to hear from you Maples.
Life sounds good!

My best
x
Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

64 days sober now, thank God I was able to find the amazing people in AA. Deep respect for the program. I feel wonderful.

If you are struggling and find you cannot quit alone, find a meeting and ask for help. It will save your life if you let it.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Maples

I am glad your doing well.
I think about you often.
Thanks for coming back and letting us know that life is good for you.

I wis you the best xx