Notices

What now?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Almost lost it there.

What now?

I've been trying to quit drinking by myself for about 10 years now. I used to be what I would consider a very heavy drinker, but I've worked my way down to a half a bottle to a full bottle of wine (or equivalent) every other day. This is mostly because I feel my body just can't handle it anymore.

I'm looking to get rid of this blight on my life for good but am unsure of how. It seems like anything I read or hear about sounds great at the time, but when push comes to shove I'm going to definitely get a drink.

It was so long ago that I started, and I was in such a bad place then, that I don't know what it would be like to be normal.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to the lifeboat--grab an oar!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Almost lost it there.

D'oh.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
I tried to quit for many years. It took finding my higher power to guide me to sobriety.
Have you tried AA? Many have reocvered through AA. There are other methods.

Whatever path you choose, and it does require action, I wish you the best.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I have been drinking for 20 years so I understand what you said about being normal. It's my day 10 and I feel like I just met me. No idea yet who I really am...

You came to the right place. Amazing support here.

Good luck and stay strong!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zee

Welcome Lunch (sounds yummy, is it lamb?)
If you have got yourself down to what you say you have, then that is good eh? I had to quit for medical reasons but i was on a heck of alot more than half a bottle of wine. If you think your body can't take it... listen to your body... have quarter of bottle and mix it with soda.... then less wine, more soda. and so on... keep posting here though, let us know hoe you are getting on x
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Almost lost it there.

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I still haven't completely quit, but I've cut back from my usual. Every time I stop for a few days I feel super anxious and stressed. I never realized that this could be because of alcohol until I started reading this forum, I thought I was just an anxious person.

I want to know what I'd feel like and how much better I'd interact with others if I could quit for an extended period, but I need to get past this initial anxiety and stress. I think I just need to give it time and the opportunity will present itself.

Just knowing that someone is reading this seems to help for some reason, so thanks.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I suffered from a lot of anxiety when actively drinking. I was on meds for it too.

My experience was that after I stopped drinking my anxiety went up for a time but has decreased ever since. I do not take meds for anxiety anymore and other than a few moments such as when I was on a turbulent airplane, my anxiety level is near zero.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Almost lost it there.

That sounds an awful lot like my situation, anxiety is definitely creeping into every aspect of my life and I do have some prescriptions. Do you remember how long it took to get over it Fallow?