Notices

2 weeks. Doing ok as long as I'm not alone

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks. Doing ok as long as I'm not alone

Bob Seager once said, "I drink alone with nobody else." That about sums up my past habit. So, here I am 14 days in and I worked from home last Friday. My wife was helping her Mom out so I was with no adult supervision. . That's when I noticed how difficult it really is. Up until that point I felt pretty good and didn't have many temptations. I have kept really busy with work, family and hobbies.. not necessarily in that order but you know what I mean. Anyway, Just wanted to give a quick update. I am proud, thankful and healthier for sure.

thanks for the support in the forum and for the late night chats.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks - brilliant!

Yes,when I was on my own that was perfect drinking time for me..glad that is over and done with though! Waste of time my thinking!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too often got drank/used when I was alone. I was too ashamed to get wasted around other people except a close circle of "friends". Handling those "alone" times has been a learning process. None of this is coming for free but with some hard work, we can rebuild.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, drinking alone and trying to hide it, was my pattern too. My worst trigger was when my husband went away on business and I had the house to myself. It took some planning to get through that.

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was a lone drinker also. When I quit I spent alot of time at my daughter's house so that I wouldn't be alone. I would stay until 11:00 pm. I did it cause I knew the liquor store closed at that time and I couldn't get any. If I was by myself before then, I was afraid I would give in to the horrible urge I had of buying it. Thank god I had a place to go.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

I had the same issue. I once began a thread on this very topic ..something to the effect of 'sobriety without a babysitter'.. because that is how I felt, and it was the most difficult aspect for me..sadly, I felt that I got more negative feedback on here than positive..somewhat insensitive..snarky..Anyway, I couldn't understand it..being that I have always had pretty kind responses on here..would never want to make anyone else feel that way, So I'm here to tell you, you are definitely not alone, and that is such a common issue that arises in early sobriety- We are here for YOU
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on two weeks!

We have a lot of little sayings in recovery. Here's one from NA:

"An addict alone is in bad company."
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your two weeks! I struggle at times with being alone but for the most part it is actually easier. I do not allow alcohol in to my home so I know it is a safe space. I know the schedule of when my son is going with his father so I plan ahead to stay busy. I also do volunteer work for one of those evenings for our Department of Corrections so that keeps me for sure out of trouble! You need to learn to trust yourself. When there are times that I don't trust myself I make sure I'm around someone who can think more clearly then me!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your shared experiencing everyone. I think when we all start our road to recovery we subconsciously think that no one understands and you are the only one that has experienced the struggles that you go through.. when in fact.. there is always someone who has gone through almost exactly what you have. Without sounding crass.. that is somewhat relieving. Does that make sense?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For sure - I always thought I was the only one with a real problem until I found SR

It's so good to find friends who know how our minds work and not alone!

Oh and I was thinking about this post earlier -even when I drank alone I used to hide the bottles around the house rather than throw them straight in bin- that's nuts!!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually, I think that was George Thoroughgood, but congrats none the less!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try to remember to never keep alcohol in the house.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I too have 15 days sober today!....As others have said here, I too drank alone. My wife made me leave because she found out I was drinking again, and she has given me alot of chances up to that point. Because of that I am bymyself, and my thoughts turn to drinking at times. I have been going to AA meetings, praying, working more, talking to my sponsor and family....and just resolved to not let alcohol get its hooks into me yet again.

I hope you and I can congratulate one another on 30 days in a few weeks, 90 days in a few months, and one year in.....you get the picture. THis will happen if we don't drink TODAY.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congrats