Sweating, anyone else notice this & why?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweating, anyone else notice this & why?

How many of your have noticed that your A's sweat profusely? Is that just a guy symptom? I know now, that it's a result of drinking too much, because he actually quit sweating like that for a while after his 30 days in rehab. It's now back full force since he's drinking again. It's disgusting. It seems like showers make it worse, he just drips from his head and his shirts get soaked. I also have to change sheets frequently because he sweats so bad after a binge that he saturates them. And it smells awful- musty. I have to bleach things to get it out.

I tried to find out what it means, all that sweating. All I could find was that it's the body's way of getting rid of the toxins. I don't remember him sweating like this though until these last 3 or 4 years he's been drinking. Anyone else know a cause? Why this is happening? I'm really starting to question his health, liver etc. How long before you notice a liver problem in someone? At what point would you see yellowing in the eyes and skin? Or notice a kidney problem?

I know I can't do anything about it if it is happening, but I am curious about the stages and effects other people are seeing or have seen in their A's.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My exabf sweated SO much. I agree it was weird..and gross. He had kind of olive skin so it was hard to tell if there was any yellowing there, but the whites of his eyes definitely looked really yellow to me. He just didn't seem healthy. Following a check up at the doctor in which they did blood work, he entered an IOP program. Of course he didn't admit anything was wrong with the bloodwork but I'm guessing there was and that was why the doctor recommended the IOP.

He also had a lot of other physical symptoms of alcohol abuse like constant "food poisoning" and terrible heartburn and gastritis.

My brother is an addict and he also sweats a ton now. It's got to be some reaction of the body to the substances but I don't know what causes it or why. Wish I did though...

This is a long shot but maybe it is something hormonal? I know alcohol affects estrogen levels (that's why men grow man-boobs). I have also heard that is also why it increases the rate of breast cancer in women. I'm not sure about any of this though. Just rambling because my AV is acting up and I'm trying to shut it up by posting on SR.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read this on WebMD...not syaing it is 100%.....I will post the link below:

People who are physically dependent on alcohol may experience excessive sweating when they suddenly stop taking the substance. This is a classical symptom associated with withdrawal from alcohol and may be accompanied by sleep disturbances, fast heart beat, tremors, seizure, vomiting, anxiety and even hallucinations. The severity of one's symptoms is proportionate to the level of alcohol dependence.

Sweating after Drinking Alcohol | MD-Health.com
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jewel. That was totally interesting!!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did some more research, looked up fatty liver disease which is common in heavy drinkers. Low and behold, excessive sweating around the neck, face and torso area is a common symptom. Along with many other things. I'm no Dr. but he appears to have a lot of those symptoms going on. His liver counts were raised when he had gone into rehab 6 months ago per the Dr. there. This makes my heart sink...I know he won't quit even if I printed out the articles and handed it to him. I'd tried that a million times in my old- try to change it days. This is where it gets hard, and I know I'm supposed to let it go, not obsess, but watching someone self-destruct before your very eyes sucks.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mr abf doesn't really sweat but his feet are ATROCIOUS!!! The smell is so bad that I have to either throw his socks outside after he takes them off, or else immediately start a load of wash! During his periods of sobriety..... his feet smelled normal.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

The physical symptoms track the "illness."

When Mrs. Hammer was deep into the Eating Disorder, we had the opposite. Always shivering, as her body was starving and shutting down.

Kids used to ask why mom set the heater so high. Did make her cuddly in bed (trying to get warm from me), albeit bony.

On a happy note, I can no longer count her ribs while hugging her. I was so happy I cried the day she could no longer fit in her little (smaller than our 10 year old's) jeans.

Ok. Happy Day Time in Hammer Mind. Thank you, SR.