Notices

Taking action.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

Taking action.

I made a dr appt for Monday. I've been on Zoloft for a while, and I think maybe a switch to another antidepressant might be in order. I have Graves' disease also, and have recently had to increase my Armour Thyroid meds; I think that may have something to do w my feelings being out of whack. I just think more help is needed at this point. I want to feel, but I don't want to be locked in my bathroom crying all the time. So, made the appt and hopefully my dr will have some good ideas. I want to say thank you again, to all of you for your understanding and your support. I really do love it here.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you given natural methods a shot yet, such as eating to increase dopamine levels? The "food/vitamin method" really does boost your mood, I can speak from experience. After I started eating and taking certain vitamins such as SAMe 400mg to support my mood, I did notice a change and it supported me a great deal through PAWS.

Here is the dopamine creation process:
Phenylalanine --> Tyrosine --> L-dopa --> Dopamine

Phenylalanine being precursor number 1. You can find a list of foods online which contain Phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is then turned in to Tyrosine. You can also find Tyrosine in food -or just take the vitamin-, eliminating the need to synthesize it from Phenylalanine. Next, of course, L-Dopa is created from Tyrosine, and then it becomes dopamine. To replenish your dopamine levels, you must eat sources of Phenylalanine or Tyrosine or take vitamins for this.

You can also exercise to use the dopamine stores you have available by going for a walk or some form of exercise to boost your mood when you're down.

There's no cure-all, but any little improvements do help.

No matter what you do, hopefully you get yourself sorted out soon. The emotional part is one of the hardest, I would know and can easily relate.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BFD

That is great information. Thank you, Jen! I'll look into all this.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope ur doc can give u something that will make u feel a bit better. I also agree with Jen, I think it's a great idea. Try that BFD, what if it will help and u might not need a prescription. Good luck darling keep us posted!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hi! Just wanted to mention that if you do try OTC supplements, check it with your doctor. They are medicines, too. They can interfere with some conditions and other meds. Be safe and responsible with everything you take! Self medicating is what got us here, yes?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BFD

Very true, Joygirl... I will be sure to ask about everything on Monday.