Notices

New to the online rooms

Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the online rooms

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Please tell us more about yourself. What help are you looking for?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I posted yesterday for the first time and so far have been welcomed with open arms and lots of encouragement.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What do you need help with? We're here to listen and support you as much as we can.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello all. In an unfamilar situation. I am now a therapist at a residential 28 day facility. I fear openly sharing at AA meetings because "could be" residents might take what I say and use it against me once in treatment.

Also, have always struggled with anxiety. ALWAYS. Know it is a big reason why I became an alcoholic. Fearful also to share this flaw in meetings since I have been sober 7 years. I have brought this up in meetings in the past but have never really dealt with it. Also, being a therapist myself now, I feel like I should be able to "cognitively restructure" my thoughts and therefore have no fear of speaking in front of others.

Just a couple of my struggles.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I don't use AA, but I think you could safely discuss your issues there, from what I understand. If not, can you find a counsellor for yourself?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was in outpatient for anorexia a few years back, the most enlightening stories were those of the therapists who once battled eating disorders themselves. I am now in outpatient for alcoholism and the couselor is a recovering alcoholic. I feel that she can relate to what I am going through more because of her past. Anxiety is a reason that many of us drink. If you share that with your groups, you may find that the residents will feel more comfortable around you and you may in turn feel less fear of speaking in front of others. I, too, have always hated speaking in front of others. But I have been to AA, outpatient, and am currently a teacher. You may find that many people share your feelings. I find that what I have to say is actually on other people's minds but they are too afraid to say it. I now feel that I have to own my feelings no matter what other people think of them. I hope that helps.