Notices

pot question

Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pot question

Long story short...I have a friend who was a serious drunk, he now has been sober for 10 years.
He quit drinking, which is awesome, but he smokes weed...and I mean a lot.
He has given me rides home from work, and as soon as we leave the parking lot, he is lighting up a joint.

Is this acceptable in the sober community?
It seems he has substituted one drug to another, but trust me, it's better than him drinking.
Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marcher

In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head. He has substituted one addiction for another. He's not sober. He is using a drug. To me at least, sober is no alcohol, or any mind altering substances. Pot most certainly is mind altering! That's why he's using, to alter his mind. The end.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
jkb

I think its up to him. If this works for him and hes happy... well who cares if hes "sober". No I dont believe anyone working a "recovery program" would consider this "sober" but, he is a non-drinker and maybe that was his objetive?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the opinion joygirl
I feel the same way jkb, he was a bad drunk so I guess this is better.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

While pot has never been for me, I really don't feel that it's "that bad" of a habit. The thing I worry about is that he's out driving high. That's not safe. Unless the pot truly doesn't affect him like it does most people (and there ARE people out there that it doesn't), his reflexes will be just as slow as being drunk. You should suggest that he not smoke out until he gets home or to where he's going.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They say pot is a gateway drug and I've never really believed that until recently. I found myself bored without opiates and right when I started feeling better mentally, I decided (for some reason) that smoking pot might be a good idea. I found myself staying up late for no reason, not getting enough sleep, and just craving opiates, simply because my body wasn't feeling right and when my body hurts, opiates were the solution. Anyway I stopped smoking and after about two days my head cleared and I was back on track, cravings having subsided, confidence and purpose coming back. Maybe not really a gateway drug but it def takes away your purpose and drive, similar to the way opiates do. Ive found that while it may seem fun to get f**d up all the time, there is no better feeling than being sober and knowing that you are a part of the real world. I don't think I've felt real actual pride in myself in years. Feels good.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For myself, my main drug was pot. It's wasn't so much the pot as how important it was to me though. The things I would do to get some and the person I was without it...

If he is in AA then the 3rd and 10th traditions support that he can smoke pot and be a member.

If he is in NA, well a drug is a drug is a drug.

If he is going it alone, it's up to him what he does. If he's not in a community or program, it doesn't quite matter what communities or programs think. I was told I can do anything I want, as long as I'm willing to face the consequences. It's up to you to decide if you want him in your life, taking into consideration his choices and habits and how they affect you.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Former Surfer,
You nailed it.
You have summed this past year for me perfectly.
I started smoking pot as well but I went off the tracks too.
Now, I'm sober from everything and back on track.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. Maybe he is trading one drug for another, but everyone has their vices. IMO overeating or smoking cigarettes is worse than pot (aside from the possible legal consequences). Of course if he is smoking all day every day I don't think that's healthy either.