Question for Nar-anon members

Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question for Nar-anon members

Hi peoples,

I've been asked to be a speaker at the one weekly Nar-anon meeting that is in the area as an NA guest. The group has never done this before and so, their guess is as good as mine as to what experience has shown to be the most effective format.

How long does a speaker speak at such a meeting? I have been a speaker before at coventions and round-ups and the such and can tailor my message anywhere from 3 - 90 minutes but either extreme is, well...extreme. While it would never happen in an NA meeting, I have spoken to groups (classrooms, professionals, etc.) in which there is a question and answer period afterwards. What about at Nar-anon?

There are other questions but if someone has any experience with this would they weigh in please. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Since in AA and NA every meeting has it's own format, so do Alanon and Naranon. My suggestion would be to ask the chair person of the meeting before the meeting as to what the format is.

basically same format of

what it was like
what happened
and
what it is like now

tailored to the allotted time.

I find that asking my HP prior to entering the meeting place to allow me to speak HP's words not mine has worked very well for me, these many years.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First I want to say that I love having NA speakers at our Nar-Anon meetings. Those are usually the highest attendance meetings we have!

As Laurie said, whomever invited you to speak would be the best person to answer this question. I will share what we have done in our meetings.

The speaker will usually speak for the entire meeting time but will reserve about 15 minutes at the end for a question and answer session. Our meetings are 1.25 hours so that allows for about an hour for the speaker to tell their story.

Our speakers have discussed exactly what Laurie suggested....what their lives were like being in active addiction.....what happened to them to move them toward sobriety.....how their addiction affected their relationships......what their lives are like now in recovery.

We usually have a pot luck afterwards so that there can be some healthy interaction. Often speakers meetings are heavily attended by folks from NA as well. Some of the greatest insights I have received were from recovering addicts whom I spoke with socially after a speakers meeting.

Let us know how it goes!

gentle hugs
ke