Notices

UK Tramadol addiction - nhs treatment?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Idiot!

UK Tramadol addiction - nhs treatment?

An elderly relative has approached me knowing my history with substance issues. They've been using Tramadol for 4 years for arthritis pain. She had started to notice flu-like symptoms when she ran out of pills between scripts. Just this weekend it went 3 days without any and she was suffering full-blown withdrawals.

She realises now she has become addicted to these pills and is shocked and ashamed. She is back on them for the time being and I am arranging taking her to her GP to see what help we can get her to get off them - something she is determined to do now she knows she is dependent on them.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the nhs does in this situation? What medication they offer to help withdrawal when there has been no intention to abuse the medication. I would just like to be prepared as she is quite upset over this and I expect I will be doing most of the talking. As I've said this question is really specific to the UK nhs.

Thanks.

Stu.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Stu

I don't know for sure what would happen, but perhaps it might be a good idea if she goes to a pain clinic at hospital to try and get her pain under control without using Tramadol. There is a pain clinic at Durham hospital.

If she wants to come off the Tramadol, there will be ways they can help her. I'm not sure if they do things like a taper. So you gradually take less and less until you take no more.

There is a charity organisation in the UK called 'Codeine No More' and they help codeine addicts which is a drug that is over the counter and on prescription depending on strength. They might be able to offer you some help with Tramadol, even though they discuss another drug.

There are lots of different non addictive drugs that can be used in this area.
The problem is she is elderly and some drugs might not be good if she is on lots of different drugs for lots of conditions. This might have left them no other option to use Tramadol.

To be honest I am sure that her GP will know that this is the case and is what happens when tramadol is prescribed over a long time period. Its no great shocker.
Its just the pharmacokinetics of the drug.

There is no shame on her for whats happened. There is no reason to feel embarassd. This is the NORMAL outcome from using these drugs over a period of time.

It might be that the GP expected her to stay on these drugs for a long time and as long as the dose does not increase and she does not abuse them then this is fine.

In chronic pain patients they usually look for these types of behaviours that indicate a problem.

If she started taking more and more.
Started taking them when not in pain.
Trying to get prescriptions early as the pills have run out due to not taking them properly.
Making excuses about why she needs her prescription before it is due, like I lost the drugs, I went on holiday and left them there so I need more.
Buying them from illegal sources (she does not seem that type tbh!)

If you google 'prescription pain killer addiction in the UK' there just be some facts, figures and info that make this easier to understand and also show that it is a common thing that happens.

I think you are an amazing person or going with her to talk about this. It shows what a great person you are that she can confide in you this way as there is such a stigma and she must be frightened.

If you need ay more info, send me a pm.
I can help a bit more, but probably not best to write here.
I'm not far away from you either in the UK.

My best to you.x
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Thanks for your kind response Sasha4!

Much appreciated.

Stu.