Notices

Using dreams and post acute withdrawal.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using dreams and post acute withdrawal.

Hi, I've been clean for nearly eleven months but I'm dreaming about needles every night. I wake up panicking thinking I've used and then calm down and fall back to sleep, only to be woken up a half hour later by a continuation of the same dream. It's awful, I try my best to work through them but it really seems to make me crave. The dreams are never about the bad stuff, just things that kind of make me miss using. Is this a part of post acute withdrawal? My memory is coming back and stuff, I'm just wondering how common this is and what you guys do to help keep it to a minimum? I know I can't control my dreams I'm just worried this is going to be a forever thing.

Thanks.
Kassie
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marcher

0baobab,

Hi! Ten months! That's awesome!

Those darn dreams! I used to have dreams of using when I was using and running out, and during early withdrawal. I haven't for a while now, but then again I am only 45 days into this. I have read about PAWS, and yes this was listed as a symptom. I don't know how long it lasts though. It probably depends on your previous usage, brain chemistry, etc. I am sure it won't be forever.
That's not much of an answer I know, but I did want to say how I can relate to the dreams. I think you're the first person I've heard mention it. Good post!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I saw another post about the dreams; I used to have them too. Mine subsided with time, but do still happen on the odd occasion. Now, around a decade after my last shot, I don't let them bother me near as much though.

My dreams usually involved having stuff, wanting to fix, but mostly being thwarted one way or another. It was frustrating at the time, but now I just put it down to all the things my previously numbed mind was trying to process.

Again, I don't really have an answer, but I too can relate. You're not alone. And i really think it won't be like this forever.

Try to focus on how amazingly well you've done. Dreams are not as important as what you've achieved, which is monumental.