Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

I feel stupid asking this question....but I will ask it anyway

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As some of my friends know on this forum, I have 42 days clean and sober. DOC was oxycodone, and I used, with all being legally prescribed, for over 2 years.
Since I felt like I was sweating all the time, I am not sure if the sweating was due to being addicted, or is a side effect of oxys no matter the dosage, or due to withdrawal between doses, etc.

The reason I ask: a work colleague I see only intermittently, who openly talks about taking oxys (5mg, every 6 hours, as prescribed)... always seems to have a sheen of sweat on his face every time I run into him.

Of course, I did not even notice this until I had a couple of weeks of clean time under my belt. (Funny, how the details of life escape us when we are using and high all the time).

Does anyone care to share their experience around this sweating thing? I am not asking for medical advice, as I know that is not permitted on SR, just some opinions based on people's own experiences.
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never took oxys, but did abuse a lot of pretty potent opiates. I do remember sweating while on them, as well as my nose itched? Never really thought much about it until after some time clean, was in the hospital and was given morphine - sweat and nose itching, and it was one of those "a ha!" moments!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Thank you, Im

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hi, 1dayatatime,
I am always amazed at these posts that describe me when I was using!
I sure did have the sweating thing, but only after my dosage increased. Then, even as my dosage decreased I still sweat a lot. I attributed it to "hot flashes" as I'm close to that age. However, after quitting I don't have the sweats! No more "hot flashes".
I really hated that side effect! It's nice to put makeup on a clean, dry face.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, JG!

Thanks Joygirl for sharing... I am "on the other side" of the hot flash time of life so I was used to having them and night sweats. Becoming addicted to opioids did not feel so bad at first, in regards to the sweats, hot flashes, and my face would flush... now, it feels so awesome to be done with it all... the only time I sweat is when I do some physical exercise or the room is really too hot. It is wonderful being clean and sober!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes that wonderful opiate induced sweat sheen that just never seems to wipe away. I don't miss it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

Oh yes. I used to sweat like crazy. I was always so hot. I know it was the roxy bc I have Graves' Disease, with Hashimotos and that usually makes me very cold. It was especially prominent if I had done too much during the day; that night I would have to change clothes at least once during the night.