Notices

Quitting

Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting

Hi :-)

New on this particular forum

I just quit alcohol - will be 3 weeks on Tuesday - that is tough but I am thinking quitting smoking is going to hell of a lot harder for me

What would you all suggest - I am too fresh at present with the booze thing to start quitting cigarettes ?

I really want to stop but I'm a little concerned too much at one ...

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of people recommend waiting a few months but to be honest I quit both at the same time because one kinda led to the other for me. Maybe make quitting drinking a priority and don't kick yourself too much if you relapse with smoking...

There is (hopefully still) lots of help you can get from the NHS on this. They used to do a nicotine replacement therapy thing where you went to see the nurse every 2 weeks too. That can really help keep you accountable and of course the NRT makes it much easier to quit because you aren't actually deprived of any nicotine. It really is a good idea to do this through your doctors if you wanted to do NRT because that stuff costs a fortune if you have to buy it.

I loved the Allen Carr book though, which is probably a good thing to read even if you do the NRT too.

Good luck and well done on 3 weeks x
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not to be sounding like I don't want to give up smoking but I think the alcohol needs sorting first - will give it a few more weeks

Like the idea of NHS - been accountable to somebody I don't really know may be the key!

Will check out that book

Thanks for your advice! :-)