Notices

Sick sick sick.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick sick sick.

Jeez, I'm a sick man.

I'm sitting here watching an interview about a lady that got her leg blown off in the bombing.

The first thought in my head was, "man I bet she is on some good stuff. If my leg was gown I bet they give me all kind of pain killers.".

Who would think something like that?

The craving started to grow more. First I called my sponsor. No answer so I jumped on here.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I just had a vodka fantasy while drinking a citrus sports drink.... So get it.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I post this from time to time, so apologies if you've seen it before. But I have been thinking a bit more about people who have lost their legs since the bombing in Boston....

One thing I know about my dad is that, after he lost his leg, he had a rough time with pain medicines. So, much later when he was dying of cancer, he did not want morphine even though he was in great pain.

There is a story about men who have lost their legs--and it says they never grow new ones. The moral is that alcoholics will never be non-alcoholics.

Well, my Dad had only one leg, and although he never grew a new one he always had an artificial leg. But the Veteran's Administration is not sufficiently funded, so up to the end of the 20th century (when he died) his legs were made of wood, attached with buckles and leather straps and had an inflexible ankle. Oscar Pistorius's little toe cost more than all the legs dad ever had.

Dad lost his leg fighting for freedom, including the right to drink. Later in life, he fought for social and environmental justice, and he would be happy to know that I was able to find help for my alcoholism when I needed it. The sobriety given to me by a minimally-funded detox center, and maintained by a non-profit organization, was all free. I am not going to squander the miracle of sobriety I have been given, and I will never drink again.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey Chris,
You are not the only one who thinks like that. Because we are sick. Play it through. And those victims may later have the same issues as us, who knows? I get it too!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marcher

You know what gets me? the word "prescription".
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not as sick as you think. I've had almost the exact same thoughts. Not regarding the bombing because I've done my best not to watch any of that crap, but the same nevertheless. 'wow i bet that dudes gonna get some sick scripts.' My ex had some serious surgery a few weeks ago and she's told me that the doctor just loaded her with pain killers. She's never used a drug in her life, refuses to. I pick my kid up at her house every Wednesday and bring him back there every Saturday. I've managed to have her meet me outside or somewhere else altogether every time since then because I don't even want to be in a house where I know what's in the medicine cabinet. Addiction is a sick thing.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your not alone, I am as sick as you and much worse for things I have done. I stole my grandfathers pain meds when he was literally on a hospital room in his living room just a few days before he died. My uncle and I also would drip the morphine in our mouths and think it was funny?? I have stolen from people who actually needed the meds, and have thought about how if something really was to happen to me how many great scripts I could get. We are as sick as our secrets, however we are different because we don't want to be sick. We know we have a problem, and the issue is now to deal with it.