Notices

PLEASE HELP- Bf addicted to Roxy's

Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PLEASE HELP- Bf addicted to Roxy's

My bf has been taking roxy's for a little over a year now. It's been hell and has turned our world's upside down. He has admitted to me he wants to quit more than once and deep down I truly believe that. He has tried to quit a couple of times but always goes back. I would say the longest he's stayed clean at one time is no longer than a month. He has tried tapering off and that worked to an extent. He also has taken suboxyone to help with withdrawals, and now I'm pretty sure he's taking both. From what I've heard, suboxyone is treating an addiction with an addiction and is not the best route to take. I know this isn't the life he wants because he's admitted his problem and has taken steps to change. I do believe he can get straight I'm just unsure if he's able to do it by himself and thats why I'm looking into rehab/detox facilities. Basically my biggest questions are:

What do you know about suboxyone and does it lead to another addiction?

If rehab is what it's come to, should I look for one that doesn't administer sub for withdrawal?

What are alternatives for roxy withdrawal?

What do you think/know of a total medical detox to get him off of EVERYTHING?

What can I say to him and what can I physically do for him to help motivate and encourage him in ANY way?

Any info and advice please I'm desperate.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marcher

Smile

Hi! You sound like a good friend. I must ask, do you use any drugs or alcohol? If so, it will be hard to convince him, even if you only use recreationally.
I can only address the last question. The only thing you can really do is supportive. Finding him help and being there for him is all well and good, but only he can make up his mind to quit. I know, I had to decide for myself. But I was soooo greatful to the one person I did have for support and encouragement, (and feeding and bathing me...) I still have that person and if you can be that unconditional love he needs, it will go far, in my experience.
I have no experience with suboxone, so I'm sorry I couldn't help you with that. I didn't want to leave you hanging for too long!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No I have never touched them in my life. Didn't know they existed until I met him.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But I appreciate the kind words.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good luck to both of you! Oh, and there are support threads for friends and family of addicts on here that could be of some help to you.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This isn’t yours, he has to figure out how he is going to get help and the tools he will use. No matter if it goes good or bad, it will be a learning experience.

Sub is an awesome tool, but only a tool. Watch the how you judge or label it, because again it isn’t yours and will be what it is for him, what he makes it.

And no you shouldn’t be looking for a rehab that doesn’t use sub, or ones that do, he can look for his own detox, rehab, aftercare or not… This is his addiction, he needs to do the work, including finding where and how and what HE WILL DO, to get help.

What can I say to him and what can I physically do for him to help motivate and encourage him in ANY way?
There is nothing you can say, there is nothing you can do for him, this is really all his.

What can help, well one thing would be to see him as capable, because he is. Accept he is an addict, remove the addiction as a gauge to anything … this one is hard for most to understand, but unacceptable behavior is unacceptable no matter is someone is using drugs or not. Understanding there is no control, understanding he will be done, when he is ready, not a minute before.

What you can do for him that might make some kind of difference, although the end result might not be what you wish, is to get help for you. Work on you, find support for you and there is a family board here. This is not about staying or going at all, it is about taking care of yourself no matter the choices he makes. Learn about enabling and avoid it like the plague, learn about codependency avoid that as well…

You within it all will get well or stay sick, and you are the one you need to focus on now more than anything. He will never be the blame for what you become. Addiction is a family disease, and with good reason. And those who watch are as sick if not sicker in most cases as the addicts in their lives.

Please find the family board, there are a lot of good stickies at the top of the page and also seek out cynical one’s blog which is filled with information.

Take good care of YOU.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Here's a link to our Friends and Family board for substance abusers...

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You will find a lot of support there. Welcome to SR!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did not know about the family board, I will be visiting that. Thank you all.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. My husband was addicted to pain meds. When he decided to stop, he came home and asked for help. I had already been researching and looking myself just in case. My husband did a detox, and then went into rehab. He did not use subs. Instead once he completed the detox, he opted to use injections of Naltrexone (vivitrol) for two months. Its a non addictive drug, and short descr is it blocks opiates, people cant get a high if they want. You can google it. Vivitrol has a website, and I think PhilsFlyer here.. has some posts on his experience using it too.

What I would receommend, is keep communication open, and offer support as much as you feel comfortable with. Professionals in medical field often suggest family offers encouragement, etc. to facilitate entry into treatment, and continued treatment.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this is my experience with suboxone . was on it for over a year . my last visit in december my dr told me he was retiring gave me 2 refills and told me good luck . as soon as it ran out i was using again . stay away from it if possible is my recommendation.
its trading 1 addiction for another . im 66 days clean . had to go cold turkey . but i made it .
Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

dog / cold turkey

In same boat with meds or sub. Today is day 2 and starting to feel anxious etc... when do you start feeling normal again? I don't feel motivated but when I take something I feel like I have so much more energy! Enjoyed reading your post. Good luck to you.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

some people on here say 7 to 10 days . it took me about 6 weeks before i started to feel "normal" . maybe im just slower . but after that i was feeling pretty good . stay strong you can do it .