Notices

Your opinion please...

Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your opinion please...

So I am pretty new to the sober game. I quit my job to get sober.. 2 weeks ago. I feel fantastic, strong; mentally and physically, and I'm just a new person now. The problem is I'm f**ng bored. My job wants me back, bartending.. Late nights, long hours. Question is; Can I go back to that? Is it possible to stay clean in that environment? Where I have buddies that use, where Im walking out the door, worn out, cash in hand. I think not but would love to hear from experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

FormerSurfer, 2 weeks sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Is it possible to stay clean in that environment? Yes it is, but I wouldn't get anywhere near it and I'm 1016 days sober. I hope ya don't jepordize what ya got. Rootin for ya.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think not too. I couldn't have done that.

Are you looking for a new job, Former Surfer?

D
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's hard to be in a using environment when being an non-user.

What D74 said, perhaps looking for a new job will help you out??
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

First off just wanted to congratulate you on the two weeks!

As for your question , sure it's possible to stay sober in any situation. Would I recommend you going back to your old job this soon? No way!!! I'm not sure if alcohol was a problem area for you but it really doesn't even matter. Your brain, subconsciously, relates certain things to using and then stimulates the receptors in your brain the same way.

It's actually really interesting. You can take an MRI of your brain while high and then take another while you are just shown a personal trigger or in a familiar using atmosphere (like you at your job) but not high and the two images would be identical. So it's best to just keep away from any situation that will make you vulnerable.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

boredom gets me too... It SUPER important to try to find something else. ARe you still able to surf? don't you live in gorgeous Hawaii? I know you can do this, stay strong my friend.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

I used more at my office than I did anywhere else. If I could quit, I would. In this day and age, jobs like mine are almost impossible to come by. I have it pretty cushy here. I went to some drug counseling sessions last year, and one of the things she said was, if I couldn't change my job, to change the office around for a "new" view and perspective. It's working so far... somewhat...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anything is possible, with time. So newly sober I don't think it is good to test yourself by going back into that environment. A year from now? Who knows.

I have a friend that is a recovered alcoholic and he is a bartender. He said being around it all the time pretty much desensitized him and now he can go wherever he wants and doesn't have to worry about people drinking at holidays because he is around it all day long and it no longer triggers him.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't be testing yourself so soon. It would prob. be safer to just find a new job or start up a hobby