Notices

Rate of Sickness/Colds/Flu Increase During Early Sobriety?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Rate of Sickness/Colds/Flu Increase During Early Sobriety?

I've been sick about three times this winter/spring. I've been sober approx five months. I've never had this many illnesses before. WTF. Is there any correlation? Did anyone else experience this?

Just curious.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

When i drank i was sick every morning RO
i'm sure i didn't notice most of the time when i was drinking .

There seem to be a lot of bugs around of recent , i don't think i've had anything more or less than my non-sober colleauges though .

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

IMHO, it ain't from the five months sober. I have years now, and was sick a lot in March and April, much more than normal. Look at the rest of your life. Eating well? Getting vitamins / minerals? Sleep? Stress? Get those situated, and then NEVER touch your hands to your mouth, eyes or nose again and you should be fine. Congrats on approx five months!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Logic says that alcohol destroys our digestive system and some vitamins (like B) aren't able to be absorbed. 70% of our immune system is in our guts.

I'd say there is a definite correlation. Your body is getting back to normal and it's healing.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

RO, I went through a series of illnesses & infections (bladder, eye, throat) in the first 3 months. I am convinced it was my body healing. I am better at remembering to take a multivitamin and oils these dats, but not perfect!

It will pass, I'm sure.

S x
Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I get a proper flu once every two years or so. I had one about 2 months ago, coupled with a chest infection that pretty much made me hit the deck for two weeks. I think that I was probably more prone to sickness when I was using but I was always too wasted to notice and palmed it off as a come down or something else substance related. I kind of like being able to tell when I am ill now. It means I can do something about it.

Natom.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thanks, everyone!

I really think there is some correlation -- as also posited by a couple of members. It's just too strange the amount of times I've come down with something since sober.

Day 2 off work *cough* *sniffle* *sneeze*
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I seem to pick up more colds when I'm sober, and have no idea why. I feel sick all the time when I'm drinking - I have liver damage, gallbladder problems, gout - but seem to be almost immune to colds and flues. It could just be that I'm less mobile and exposed to fewer people.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I got sick right after quitting, but haven't had as much as a sniffle in 8 months now. DO you eat right and exercise? Exercise plays a very key role in building immunity.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm 12 days sober and have a cold right now. I'll take the cold over the hangover and anxiety any day.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My first year into recovery I had pneumonia 9 Times!!!!

About the 3rd or 4th time I was semi joking with my doctor and I said:

"Boy I must have a really low immune system."

His response:

"What immune system?"

He went on to explain that my body was really depleted in a lot of areas and as I stayed sober and got my 'health' back I would see myself getting stronger and stronger and sick a lot less.

He was correct, my 2nd year only had pneumonia 3 times, lol And this was all in Southern California, so no cold weather, etc

Keep working on your recovery, try to eat healthy and you too will soon start to be stronger.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

ps: I have seen many over these many years now, 'catch' a lot of things like colds and flu in their first year also.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to feel so I'll when drinking I doubt I noticed when I had Colds and bugs!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
I've been sick about three times this winter/spring. I've been sober approx five months. I've never had this many illnesses before. WTF. Is there any correlation? Did anyone else experience this?
If you've been out and around people more as a result of getting sober, it could be that you've been exposed to more germs or whatever illness has been going around.

Could some of what you've been experiencing be allergies? From what I understand, even if you haven't been allergic to pollen (or whatever) in the past, you can develop allergies as an adult.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been sober about 3 weeks and have a cold-I think it's from going to the gym to stave off cravings and breathing the air con air and it's germs.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm experiencing this right now RO, I've got 20 months and I've been sick so many times in those 20 months I've lost count! I hardly ever used to get sick! (apart from the death-warmed-over feeling I had every day, lol)

imho, I think for me it's a mixture of things: immune system changing/developing, strong bugs this year and still learning how to take care of myself. Now I eat well, exercise and sleep well regularly. But still I get every little bug that goes around! I will say, I don't seem to get them as bad as everyone else.

Again just my humble opinion, but for me, I never noticed how I felt before because I was always too hungover, or even just tired. Now it's my job to notice how I feel, so I can make sure my sobriety is secure.

Take good care of yourself, (I think) this too shall pass!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

You are all the BEST!

For those who wondered, yes, I've been eating healthier and exercising more than I ever have!

I think my immune system is SHOT. I'm hoping it will strengthen as my sober days build up.

I slept all day today and treated myself to a pizza just now. Feeling a bit better but still achy and coughing.

(((SoberRecoveryFolks)))<--much love to all
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I get sick frequently (sober or drunk).... But Everytime i've ever quit alcohol I usually get a cold about 1-2weeks into sobriety.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Zee

Even with a flu jab...I've had a head cold and an evil chest infection this year.... pretty much wiped me out... I just think its mutating bugs floating around. At least now I can cough without it going out of control, ending up me gagging/throwing up, that's a bit embarrasing Hope you feel better soon x
Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haventv been real sick with colds and flu for q a long time. But I was on a year long runner. Day 8 and now sick
Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon chefgeno

D