Notices

Wtf?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wtf?

Been feeling great for almost a week now. Haven't had any cravings, wds are gone. Been feeling more healthy everyday. Woke up today ready to conquer the world. Took a little nap around 3:00 and woke up an hour later feeling horrible. No reason why but suddenly im craving my opiates hardcore. Thought I was done with these feelings. Wtf? Is this something I should just expect now. Things get going good then suddenly I just get that itch? Not gonna use but damn. Just doesn't seem fair after how far I've come.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's part of the gig as a former drug user - random return of cravings. there's a neat article i found a number of years back that talked about the cycle of cravings in recovery...i'll see if i can find it.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the hardest parts of recovery is realizing that you're never really done and its never really over. Addiction can come and get you no matter how long you have been clean and sober. I am now a year clean but before that had been cruising along for 10 years. A three year binge showed me how fragile it all is.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel ya surfer. It's hard as heck to quit. As a reward we get random cravings, social anxiety, dark days, and feelings of isolation - not fair indeed!

Tough days in recovery are kind of like spells of bad weather - you're angry, frustrated, and kinda depressed...and even worse, there's nobody to blame! It's just....life! Sorry you're dealing with this. I believe as recovery moves along, the good days will outweigh the bad. All the best to you, it was nice to see you so firmly and confidently say that despite these cravings, you were not going to use. Period. Very cool.

Hang ten!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I appreciate actually hearing real answers rather than something like 'hang in their dude it gets better'. Does feel good to have a really strong itch and not scratch it, just let it go away. Would love to read that article if u have it anvil.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The good news is that I find after a bad day or too I'm feeling great again! Stick thru the hard days and the good ones will return. I feel for you though, had a bad day myself, sometimes just waking up the next morning with the full day ahead of you knowing that you didn't use makes all the difference!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

in life there will always be good and bad days...

When using they will be there.

when not using they will be there.

For me, not using gives me more strenght and focus to deal with the bad days, then when using.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The best thing you can do in those moments are to go to a meeting, find something right away to do to take you away from those thoughts, or call sober friends. I had it when those times blindside you.

I have felt great in the morning and by the last afternoon I have craved like crazy out of no where. The other thing I hate is waking up in the morning and either had using dreams or feeling like you woke up with a hangover. That's the worst cause it really ticks me off cause if I am going to feel crappy I at least want to have done something fun to deserve it!

So...keep tudging forward. Cravings and triggers suck!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Former surfer, I didn't realize you relapsed, but glad to see you are back on here. I am also struggling right now, not with opiates, just using in general. I am staying clean, and just working hard at staying clean.... you can do it man!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I.ve had major cravings to smoke a cigarette more than 1 time since I quit 10 months ago. Don't get cravings so much for the booze and crack, but it is irrating and scary when it happens. Rootin for ya.