Notices

Weaning off of opiates

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weaning off of opiates

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I have a question. I have been on opiates since 2009 I started with Vicodin and norcos and when I no longer had access to those pills I took to the streets. I found a connection to percocets and have been taking them for a while. Not even sure if I want to quit..Right now I am half and half.. Half of me never wants to quit and the other half realizes that I have to. My mood swings and depression are off the hook and I'm afraid that it will ruin my life.

So my question is:

I have gone cold turkey (mainly because I didn't have any and had no choice) and I expirienced all side effects I have been reading about... Cold sweats, restless leg syndrome, extreme lethargy during the day but can't sleep at night, crying uncontrollably, hating life, feeling pain.. etc...I have to go to work so I have no idea how I can quit cold turkey...

I have 14 percocets left... How can I use these to my advantage? I wanna wean myself off with them. Is that even possible? Please help. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there, I am weaning off Norco (hydrocodone) to prevent terrible withdrawal. Yes, it can be done. It is just hard sometimes as I want to take the whole bottle! I have been off and on Norco addiction since October, 2011 (mostly on!). But yes weaning opiates can be done. I have done it before and my withdrawal was minimal. This time I am trying again! All the best, Ali
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ali,

Thanks for responding.. did you just take a little less each day or did you tell yourself you can only have one a day? I was thinking about taking one at night right before bed so I don't have the night symptoms.. I havent taken one all morning and I couldn't be more exhausted.
I'm not sure how I can pass out in a nap during the day but not sleep at all at night :/
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've got experience with tapering. I had a decade long hydro/oxy habit going strong at about 100+mg/day when I decided to taper. No rhyme or reason really. The Oxys were the first to go (at 30mg's a pop) then I would shave 10mg increments every 4-5 days. After about a month I was down to about 10mg/day when I leaped into freedom. That was about 11 months ago. Towards the end I would only dose in the morning and evening and at the very end of the taper I would only dose in the morning.

Some said it was foolish to try as "real addicts can't control doses" or words to that effect. Admittedly this method does take an awful lot of personal discipline and one must be properly motivated and ready to deal with the inevitable withdrawal symptoms. Tapering eases some of the discomfort but it doesn't eliminate it. Good luck in your journey.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

Tapering is difficult but you could do it. I have had more success at cold turkey, but that is because I lack discipline.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that tapering is possible, just was not for me. I had to cold turkey it. I think you are going to have to decide that you want to quit or you won't stand a chance once hell hits and your offered a perk. You will have to quit eventually that is simply a fact. And the habit will get harder to quit as time goes on. I suggest cold turkey with a few meds to make you more comfortable, but being uncomfortable is unfortunately part of the healing process. But you will one day reflect on those uncomfortable days and use them as a deterrent for going back to those pills.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

Some folks can definitely taper. You could also see a doctor who could maybe help you with a taper schedule or could prescribe other medications to ease the withdrawals.

I chose to go the suboxone taper route as I couldn't face cold turkey and I couldn't taper--every time I tried I increased my dosage.

You do need to be absolutely committed like stilltrecking says. Getting counseling, checking out NA or just hanging here at SR can help you with this. I have found being on SR has helped me with cravings and even helped me prevent a relapse.

You can do it!