Notices

Time to stop it

Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to stop it

Hi all I started smoking cigarettes when I was 14 and marijuana soon followed and then the alcohol as well. I quit smoking dope when I was 21 after using every day. I only really drank to get drunk to pick up girls at clubs.

My habit of drinking everyday started when I went on a cruise for two weeks and then another one straight after that for another two weeks getting smashed every night. I am married and have a one girl and its time to stop as I have been lying about my drinking and find it very hard to not drink for one day.
I have done a dry july for the past two years but once I drink one night the next night I have to drink again andthe cycle starts again.

Anyway this is a big deal for me to join this forum (first post on any forum) I feel pretty vulnerable

Its the first day today I even tipped beer down the sink this morning ( only ever done that with home brew before)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! We're a pretty tame bunch of addicts, so no need to fear us.

Read around the forums. There is lots of information about different ways to get off the sauce. Find the one that works for you.

Best of Luck!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family! Deciding to stop drinking is a very smart decision. You won't regret it.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. You've found a great place.

I've poured more booze down the sink than most normal people drink in a year. It didn't keep me sober, though. There was always a liquor store or bar just waiting to sell me more. It took being willing to change. And everything changed. I was a hardcore drinker and it took willingness and help to quit. Heck, I joined here over five years ago and have been sober a little over two.

You can do it. How you do it is up to you. There are different methods, and I hope you find one before you go through the misery alcohol wrought on me.

I hope you keep posting, and best to you.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR overit - you'll find a lot of support here - and a lot of friends. It's a very safe place

D
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome overit! This is an amazing place with people who really understand. Please don't feel vulnerable - you are among friends who want to help. You aren't alone anymore.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replys I only just worked out how to see if there had been any response to my first post. I am on day three its the nights that are hard for me lucky I never started drinking in the morning. ( unless camping). Anyway had friends want to come over on Saturday and I cringed ( strange for me ) they will be drinking for sure and I can feel it now that I will want to too.

I will make it lunch instead thats my plan (they will still drink but not as much )

Cheers better spend some time with the family know Thanks to you all