Notices

Hydrocodone & Tramadol W/D

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hydrocodone & Tramadol W/D

Hi,

I am on day 3 of stopping cold turkey from 4-6 10/-650s Hydrocodones. I also take 4-6 Tramadol a day, sometimes less, 30-50 mgs of Ritalin a day and .50 mg of xanax at bedtime. This is all from treating severe fibromyalgia and chronic fatique syndrome and by a physcians care.

I recently have believed that these meds are causing me more pain and fatigue then I possibly have naturally and I want to find out. I began with the xanax and am tapering off of them, from 1 mg to .50 at this time. (at bedtime only)

Wednesday morning at 8am was my last hydrocodone. I had taken 3 between 4:30am and 8:00 am. It was time to do something about it. I am continuing on tramadol, and possibly increased it to help through the pain and fatigue of the w/d of the hydrocodone.

My question.... having two illnesses that are central pain and fatigue anyhow, having all of these meds in me.... am I going to experience any relief from this w/d. Like what I hear others receive around day 5-7?

I am extremely weak, a bit shaky, lots of pain, etc.... I am not functioning normally and this is day 3. If it doesn't get better than this then I maybe doing this to myself in vain.

Can anyone with experience help me?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im on day 29 off hydros, it took about 5 -8 days with the w/ds but they do get better. Take it min by min. Have you talked to your dr about what your doing?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 29! No I haven't spoken to dr yet. I will be seeing him in a couple of weeks
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I would like to reiterate what the previous poster stated and would encourage that you contact your doctor, as you are on several different types of medication. I went cold turkey off of hydros and oxys, and had to go to the ER (with a big co-pay) due to skyrocketing blood pressure. If I had consulted my doctor, I would have had the appropriate plan in place to detox and withdraw safely.
Best of luck to you!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am very happy to report that I am on day 7 and I do believe the worse is behind me. The w/d's were not too bad. Def not as bad as others have them. Prayer was a big help for me. I am going to continue to detox from the other 3 things and find out what health i truly am in.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

Day 7 is awesome! The worst is mostly over now. Emotionally, you might feel a little something around day 8-9. But for the most part, the hardest stuff is behind you now. I hope you find the answers you're looking for. I also have fibro, so if you learn anything good, please share it with me!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BFF... How right you were! Day 8 I started feeling lethargic and depressed which only gotten worse with day 9. Today is day 10 and I either have a bad case of the flu or I am still withdrawing but much worse than any other day prior! The watery eyes is leading me to believe that it is withdraws. But I thought the worse should be over. I don't understand the science behind what is going on now

Any and all comments welcomed!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there, totally relate to your situation, i am day 23 detoxing from oxy, codeine and tramadol (and diazepam at bed time.) I had tried going cold turkey many times and failed, in so much pain, flu like symptoms, watery eyes etc by day 5 i couldnt bare it and started again. This time I did it with a proper taper programme from a doctor followed by dihydrocodeine replacement twice a day to take me through to day 10. The worst thing to come off was the tramadol believe it or not and i would recommend cutting down slowly or as the other person said you could end up in the ER. Best of luck to you, yousound like your doing well. xx
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

fruitymarzipam,,, which days were the flu days for you? What do you make of day 10 being SOOO bad for me? And how long should I expect this to last?
Thank you!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hi, You're doing great! I can say I had several days of flu-like symptoms, followed by fatigue, followed by milder flu-like symptoms and GI symptoms and fatigue for another week. The middle of 2nd week I felt alive again, but not completely. Its 6 weeks today, and I now have mostly good days, then BAM! Return of symptoms (milder again) for a day or two. I guess everyone is different. Remember the bad times. Those memories will get you through the good times. (Does that make sense?)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Joygirl! Yes, it makes sense but is shocking to me that a medication taken to treat pain can create such devastation on my body that is so damaging. I am up right now in middle of the night with restless leg syndrome. I can't stand it! Going into day 11. I have fibromyalgia so living with flu-like symptoms are common for me. But this is very severe. I sure hope this stage passes soon because I can't take more than 2 more days of this until life begins again, ready or not. Thank you for your encouragement.

I am still taking tramadol and wonder if that is an issue. And today I decided to break out the xanax to help a bit. It did.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was on all that junk too..I stopped cold turkey as well and I went through hellish withdrawals for several days. It gets better, trust me.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think I remember feeling pretty grotty with flu like symptoms the entire first 10 days, but getting milder every day that passed. I now feel fantastic on day 24 so it will pass hun...hang in there xxx
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marcher

I had to get out of bed throughout the night because of restless legs. I would go into the living room alone and just shake my legs out. And then a hot bath before bed helped. That only lasted a couple of days for me, but I hated that part.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am on day 18 without hydrocodones. I am not experience my day 2 of digestive issues and bathroom issues. Is this normal or can it be from another issue? I did not experience the need of immodium before this as I heard so many others do.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sorry, I need to correct the previous message...

I am on day 18 without hydrocodones. I am now experiencing the second day of digestive issues and bathroom issues. Is this normal or can it be from another issue? I did not experience the need of immodium before this as I heard so many others do
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

An old timer who used to frequent these parts would always say "recovery is not linear" and that's the truth. Your body and mind are attempting to stabilize and find their rhythm again after being carpet bombed by the opiates you (we) were taking. This process takes time and recovery can feel like a roller coaster in the beginning. Keep your eyes on the prize though. Everyone is slightly different in how their bodies react and adapt to this process. Just don't give up or give in to temptation because you will feel much better eventually.