financial

Old 05-09-2004, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

financial

Hi:
Iam new here and I have a couple of questions, my husband drinks most everyday, vodka, he goes in the bathroom to take a shower, and drinks the whole bottle as fast as he can, needless to say within 20 min. he's pretty much toast. Is this a usual for alcoholics, next question, Iam older, with plenty of health problems, have no work experience, and wonder what my options would be should something happen to him. We get by but don't have any savings. Would appreciate any imput.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Re: financial

Sherella

Welcome to our forum. I don't know how old you are or how serious your health problems, so it is difficult to suggest much that would help.

Could you take any courses for work you could do at home, that would be appropriate to your health? I am an accountant and something that comes to mind is a course on income tax preparation, that is fairly inexpensive and often put on by H & R Block or other major tax preparation centres. It is pretty seasonal, but you could earn good money for a few months each year that may help. Or any other course that would help you to earn some money (be careful of the "work at home and make big bucks" ads, many of them are not what they appear to be).

Perhaps you could speak to someone in community services and ask about what is available and the cost, or assistance with the cost if you qualify.

You are wise to look ahead and plan. Don't let your age and health hold you back. My guess is that there is something out there that would suit you with just a little training.

Hugs and Prayers
Ann
Old 05-09-2004, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome to SR!

Even what may seem to be a menial job gives a person experience that can be used in a better job. Starting somewhere is what counts. Working gives me a sense of independence and purpose. I have my own money and interacting with people other than my husband keeps me sane...

Hugs,
JT
Old 05-10-2004, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ann:
Thanks for the encouragement, Iam in my 60's. and have to stick pretty close to home. Your idea is actually something I might be able to do, have heard of other senior citizens filling out tax forms. Thank you for the idea if you can think of any others would appreciate it. I never thought I'd find my self in this situation, but I feel better if I can get a few of my ducks in a row.
Sherella
Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Social Security office may have more information on job training, medical and other services that might be available and other resources. There are also online cources offered at many colleges/universities - some are pricey, some are not,some offer financial assistance and you don't have to go to one that's physically located in your state. H & R Block training is a great idea.
Most of all, believe in you!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

also check into the school system as a substitute in pare-educator or instructional aide areas. We have a lot of women without certification beyond highschool working in these areas who are wonderful and the children love them. It offers a lot of flexibility, too. Good luck
Old 05-12-2004, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dax

If you are able to drive and love animals, you might try working for a pet sitter. I have my own pet sitting business. I started out working for a pet sitter, liked it and was able to start my own business. It is hard work though and takes about 3 years to make any money. You do need to advertise. But I started when I was in my mid 50s. Just tunred 60 and am so pleased to have my own income. In fact my H is out of work and now he is helping me in my business. dax