Notices

When will I make it more than 2 days?!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I make it more than 2 days?!

I have to quit my job. I can not be around alcohol. Even if I don't crave it, I still just pour it and drink it. Like I'm on auto pilot. I even heard my guilt yelling at me, but I just ignored it. I didn't get bad, but still, I drank. Period. I want to call in sick because I'm afraid I will drink again.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What is your job that you have to quit it? I can tell you when you'll make it past two days. When you want to be sober more than you want to drink, that's when.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you work where there is alcohol, then by all means, quit. Recovery means change. Big change. Death to your old life and everything alcohol related.

You might also have to change what you will or will not do for your recovery. Like dismiss a program that could help.

You can get past day two...today!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love my job and I am needed there. That's what makes it so hard. They depend on me. Why can't THAT be more important than drinking?! Silly question...has anyone tried hypnosis or acupuncture? Im not looking for an easy fix....who am I kidding....yes I am...we all are. However some seem to get a bit of relief from holistic things.

I have been in my job for 30 years (not the current one just careerwise) and I don't know how to do anything else. I am so angry at myself right now for letting this control me.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mmhoule, if you don't mind my asking, what is your job that you are able to drink while working? I don't thinking I could stay sober if I were still around old triggers like a job where there is unlimited access to alcohol. I have a hard enough time with my triggers at home WITHOUT alcohol being around. Maybe you should try and find something else, at least until you have some sobriety under your belt and are feeling stronger? But, I'm sure it is easier said than done and, again, don't know what you do. Best of luck. Hope you are able to find a solution because nothing is more important than getting healthy and sober
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work in a restaurant. And I am not supposed to drink while on the clock. But I do...terrible I know. One of these days I am going.g to humiliate myself and get fired. I don't want that.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's what I thought. Wow, I can so relate. Years ago I was a server at a restaurant and I started sneaking drinks as well. Quit before I got caught, but only because I found something else. It is a tough industry for an alcoholic, because alcohol is everywhere and you are constantly watching other people drinking and enjoying themselves. If finding another job isn't an option right now, I would post on here as much as possible or try attending AA meetings and stay strong! I know it is hard, but just keep thinking how much better you will feel about yourself when you resist those drinks.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with others when they say you'll make it past 2 days when you decide you want to make it past 2 days. There is no magic therapy, pill, or treatment that can stop you from drinking. Certainly therapy and support groups can help, but they are all utterly useless until you decide that you are going to quit once and for all. Frankly blaming your job is just another excuse, you'd just as easily find a way to drink at a new job or at home. What are you doing for support other than SR?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd agree with others when they say you'll make it past 2 days when you decide you want to make it past 2 days. There is no magic therapy, pill, or treatment that can stop you from drinking. Certainly therapy and support groups can help, but they are all utterly useless until you decide that you are going to quit once and for all. Frankly blaming your job is just another excuse, you'd just as easily find a way to drink at a new job or at home. What are you doing for support other than SR?
No other support yet. Working up courage to go to AA. I am wondering if I enlist help from work from my co workers...but in all honesty I don't think they "care" about me, they just need me...I'll find a way. I am desperate now more than ever. My soul needs to conquer this border to move on...I just HAVE to do it. HAVE TO.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mmhoule View Post
I love my job and I am needed there. That's what makes it so hard. They depend on me. Why can't THAT be more important than drinking?! Silly question...has anyone tried hypnosis or acupuncture? Im not looking for an easy fix....who am I kidding....yes I am...we all are. However some seem to get a bit of relief from holistic things.

I have been in my job for 30 years (not the current one just careerwise) and I don't know how to do anything else. I am so angry at myself right now for letting this control me.
Acupuncture won't do anything, hypnosis probably won't either, but I guess it works for some people.

I worked as a bar tender for a long time, some bars i worked at I'd get tanked during my shift, other bars I stayed sober, but then got tanked after my shift... it was sort of the lifestyle. All the bar tenders in my area (who weren't recovering alcoholics, and even some who were) would work there shift, go to the neighbor bar, get free drinks, drink until 5am, then rinse and repeat... it was really rough on you if you got off at 4pm... 13hours of bar drinking.... weird culture.

But I digress,
I hung around the 2 day mark forever, couldn't get to day three. I found day 3 to be the hardest, and day four to be pretty hard, especially if they fall on a weekend.

But if you can make it two days, you can make it two more on top of that. It's really just up to you. Maybe it'd help if you didn't have that first drink at work. or that first drink after work.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by mmhoule View Post
No other support yet. Working up courage to go to AA. I am wondering if I enlist help from work from my co workers...but in all honesty I don't think they "care" about me, they just need me...I'll find a way. I am desperate now more than ever. My soul needs to conquer this border to move on...I just HAVE to do it. HAVE TO.
Again, while you can certainly enlist the help of others, YOU have to want recovery and make the effort yourself first. Not trying to be harsh, but just drawing off my experiences. I'm sure they do care and need you, but they can't make you stop drinking. An AA meeting sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not in AA but I know it works well for a lot of people.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just need to avoid the first drink. I've done it before...I just have to keep doing it