Notices

Memory problems so bad I forgot Thatcher's funeral

Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Memory problems so bad I forgot Thatcher's funeral

Today is my 19th day back from that slip and my memory is so bad at the moment I completely forgot it was Margaret Thatcher's funeral this morning. Yeah yeah, I know: #firstworldproblems

As you see from my username/avatar profile I was born in 1982 and am from Southern England so I don't necessarily have any strong opinion on her but it's still a bit worrying that I totally forgot about the funeral of such a major British figure when I'm British and in the same city as the funeral.

I'm also forgetting day to day stuff, like where AA meetings people have told me about are and what I got up from my chair for (!). I also forgot to ask my mum for something she specifically came round to give me (she's decades older than me obviously, so she's allowed to be forgetful!)

Is this the central nervous system (CNS) repairing itself? Because I'm more forgetful than I ever was when I was drinking. Or maybe I just didn't care about remembering stuff when I was drinking. I was also going through a phase of forgetfulness before my slip, when I had around 40 days.

If you also had memory/CNS problems in your early sobriety, how long did it take until these issues improved?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be that you just didn't care about remembering things when you were drinking. I was like that, and I got used to faking that I remembered something when I didn't. Hopefully your memory will improve as your recovery continues. I love Post-it Notes.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks Anna. Yeah, I was barely functioning when I was drinking so didn't have much to remember and I did lie a lot about remembering the few things I was asked to remember! Post-It Notes are a great idea. I'll put it in my notebook that I need to buy some so that I remember to.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I couldn't remember much in early sobriety and my brain did not seem to function well. My daughter talks now about how she was worried she would never get her mom back, that I might have done too much damage to myself. 15 months in and we no longer worry. I did take a lot of notes and even had an app on my phone call post it so I could remember everything.
It's pretty cool now, I don't have to write everything down and the fog has continued to lift.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe that it is really common for people in the early recovery stages to have issues with remembering things. As a long-term blackout drinker, I know that I have done damage to my memory just due to that section of the brain that is impacted during blackout. I also believe that the CNS is re-wiring itself as we develop new memory pathways as we learn/adapt to new ways of doing and thinking being clean and/or sober. I'm trying to practice meditation so that I can quiet my thoughts. Generally when I do this, I have a better time remembering things.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

forgetfulness is a common side affect as the brain chemicals rebalance themselves. It will get better - it just might take some time.

You might want to look up PAWS. 19 days is on the early side, but it helped me to know that it is a part of recovery. I'm at day 90 and have clear days and forgetful days, but as time progresses I have more of the former, less of the later.

Eating well, reducing stress, exercise, taking vitamins have all helped. Too much caffeine also makes my brain foggy. When I'm in a fog, just laughing at those moments is very helpful.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I couldn't remember the names of people I had been going to church with since I was a kid. Now 10 months later, I feel back to my old self again. Just stick with it and it will come back.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Here's an interesting quote from an article in Time magazine on the mechanics of recovery that might help:

"One important discovery: evidence is building to support the 90-day rehabilitation model, which was stumbled upon by AA (new members are advised to attend a meeting a day for the first 90 days) and is the duration of a typical stint in a drug-treatment program. It turns out that this is just about how long it takes for the brain to reset itself and shake off the immediate influence of a drug. Researchers at Yale University have documented what they call the sleeper effect--a gradual re-engaging of proper decision making and analytical functions in the brain's prefrontal cortex--after an addict has abstained for at least 90 days."

Nothing to worry about. It'll all fall in to place soon enough if you keep on keeping on.

Oh and "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

My memory was pretty shot for a while...but it got better - I think it's pretty good now - not as good as it ever was, but I gave my brain a really hard time.

You're half my age Louise - I think you have an excellent chance of full recovery

D
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for taking the time to reply, everyone, and for sharing your experiences and advice.

Lol, nattythreads. I can't believe that song got into the Top 10 all because of her death!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I'm a proper "Mr Magoo" with muddling things up but either remembering or forgetting stuff isn't a good reason for drinking , i rememberd that much

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

That's definitely the one thing worth remembering!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found this thread after searching the forums for memory loss. I am also having issues with memory impairment. I have been (mostly) sober for 5 weeks (I had a slip-up two weeks ago).

I am just having a really hard time remembering things and staying focused. The confusing part is that it comes in waves. Sometimes I am really perky and focused, the next day I am disorganized, depressed and forgetful. My slip-up happened after I forgot that I already took my Benadryl dosage for allergies - and doubled up. I keep a tally on the box since I am forgetful and ended up having 4 or 5 beers later on when neighbors came over to visit. I am really, really fortunate that I was okay in the end and that my husband took care of me.

I am hoping this will pass soon. I have been exercising a lot, taking vitamins and eating better. My plan is permanent and total abstinence from alcohol. I just want to know if the memory lapses and crazy mood swings are normal in early recovery - I am starting to wonder if I have an underlying issue!