Notices

Quit everything at once?

Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit everything at once?

Hello
I drank on Friday. Woke up and logged onto here in the first time in 2 or 3 years, wanting to quit. But, here's my problem: I drink, smoke cigarettes, and smoke weed. My first AA meeting is today so I'm working on that. But I smoked weed yesterday to deal with my hangover(which probably contributed to my accompanying panic attack). I haven't smoked today but am curious if I should stop all my vices at once or one by one?
I feel like I smoke cigarettes until I can get stoned at night, and get stoned until I can get drunk on the weekends.
Advice is much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just go to the meeting

Originally Posted by Rupert View Post

My first AA meeting is today so I'm working on that.
maybe for now don't worry about what all you are going to stop

just go to the meeting

let your higher power guide you

onehigherpower
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't tell you what to do, as only you know what will work for you, however I will say that I quit drinking about 110 days ago and I did not quit smoking cannabis, nor do I intend to. Alcohol is the substance that has always caused problems for me. Cannabis has been nothing but a positive aspect of my life. Each person is different, and I reject the attitude that some people have that think recovery is all or nothing. A lot of these people will chastise and judge people for smoking marijuana while they sip on their 6th cup of coffee for the day. The important thing is to look hard at your own life and figure out what's best for you.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I had to go all or nothing.

My problem wasn't the weed, or the booze, or the smokes - my problem was me and my inability and fear at having to face the world straight.

To cut out one thing, and not cut out the others, was simply swapping deckchairs on the Titanic for me.

I spent a lot of years playing drug and drink musical chairs.

It was rough for me to face the world without anything to hide behind...but I'm glad I did it that way

D
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't smoke weed, but I found that quitting smoking cigs and alcohol at the same time was too much at once. My plan is to get some sobriety under my belt and then tackle the smoking.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I feel like I smoke cigarettes until I can get stoned at night, and get stoned until I can get drunk on the weekends.
Sounds like the addictions are feeding one another. I definitely had a similar thing with smoking and drinking. I tried many times to give them up one at a time but it didn't work so in the end I did both at once. I still have a sugar and caffeine addiction but I am working on that. Some addictions are more damaging that others so yeah, it is okay to do one at a time, but if you find that one is making the other worse then it is good to do them all at once. I know so many people who quit smoking normal cigarettes and took up weed, and one friend who quit drinking so much and took up speed... It seems to be a common thing to swap one thing for another, especially with mind altering substances.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say anything is a start, good job on making the decision to quit alcohol and attending the AA meeting. Welcome to SR also, you'll find lots of support here. Regarding the pot and cigarettes, both can be addictive as well in their own way. And if all you are going to do is increase the pot to make up for the lack of booze that's probably not good either. I'd recommend seeing your doctor to get checked out and be perfectly honest. You might get some insight there and be safe before quitting any completely.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Regarding the pot and cigarettes, both can be addictive as well in their own way.
It was harder for me to quit smoking than it was to quit drinking. I don't know whether that is unusual but it's the way it was.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you find a way to make this work.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was unable to quit everything at once but I applaud everyone who can. I quit cigarettes 16 years ago, but as for everything else.......I quit hydrocodone almost 13 months ago and tried to quit drinking and Xanax at the same time. Didn't work. Now I am 13 months hydrocodone free and have 6 months of alcohol sobriety under my belt. Next will be a super slow Xanax taper most likely, but I have anxiety issues all in my family. So I just might have to take that at all if NOT taking it means I have no quality of life. Before Xanax I was having like 3 majorly scary panic attacks per day. So I think it all depends on the person........just be careful and fill your doctor in!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Last year I decided that I was going to start smoking pot again so I could replace and quit alcohol. After several failed attempts, that plan never ended up working for me. A few months ago I realized it was actually the "buzz or the high" that I needed to quit, so I decided to give up both. Going completely clean is what's been working for me personally.