Notices

Scared and need some advice.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared and need some advice.

I am in my mid-30s. Both parents were alcoholics and addicts (I'm adopted, no genetic relation). They sobered up when I was in my 20s. I have been scared to death to go down any road that could lead to addiction after being through many 28 day programs with them and watching the horrors of addiction first-hand.

And now I'm terrified I might be going down aforesaid road and looking for some advice. I have had multiple operations on knees and ankles that have not gone well and led surgeons to say that replacements are the only option. I have back problems they want to operate on and I recently had surgery for a large ovarian cyst and they found stage IV endometriosis - which explains the terrible pelvic pain that I have been having. The only cure for what's in me, as they say it's extensive, is a hysterectomy, something I'm not willing to commit to as my husband and I are trying to conceive and the docs say that my tubes and other junk look ok for now - everything else is just messed up.

After that brief back-story, mid-Jan I ended up in the ER due to cyst pain and other stuff. Was prescribed percocet 5/325. Took it when I needed to for pain. Had surgery on 2/12 and was given percocet again and took it when I needed to for pain, no more than what was prescribed. Had a lot more pain mid-March and was told it was likely endo pain plus all my other problems and was given more percocet.

So now I take 3 Aleve, 800mg of IB profin and then a percocet in the evening. During really nasty times of the month I'm up to 6 percocet a day. My OB/Gyn seems okay to prescribe it to me when I request, but in the end I am realizing I am taking at least one pill every day. I also go to a chiropractor at least 1x a week and I do biofeedback techniques to help manage pain.

Am I going down the road that I swore I would never go on? It is scaring me because I am doing this every day with a substance that is known to be addictive. Or am I just practicing pain management? Addiction is something that scares the poop outta me, but I also am scared of mind-numbing pain that leaves me curled up in bed wishing someone would hit me on the head with a hammer.

Much ado about nothing? Thank you for any advice or stories or support.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your current situation. As an adopted person myself I always wondered if genetics had played a part in my alcoholism. My adopted parents were very moderate drinkers and I saw no problems with alcohol whilst growing up. Therefore I can't see a nurture link. I often wondered if my adoption had played a part, but many adopted people do not develop addictions. In fact the majority don't. Problems issues with bonding and relationships, certainly (as I have). But not addictions. I found my natural mother 5 years ago, and no one in the family have any real issues with alcohol. So perhaps on my fathers side? Who knows.

Doctors seem all to keen to prescribe medication. The amount of adicts on prescribed drugs is horrendous. So be very careful with the amount of drug that you are taking. However, you cannot be in terrible pain can you. Are there any alternative, natural medications available? Or, alternative treatments that you could use? Look in to it. I would say voice your concerns to your doctor, but many are worse than useless when it comes to addictions. These days doctors treat the symptoms and not the causes. Their training in drug addiction/alcoholism it pitiful.

There is a section on the site for narcotics and I am sure people more experienced than me will be able to help you. Best of luck and stay positive.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family!