Notices

Going to quit

Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to quit

Hey,

I've been reading this forum for a while now and got to the point where I realized that I need to quit.

Alcohol has ruined my life for the past 6+ years. Heavy drinking. Rationalizing it. Even today I bought some booze "because Monday is the start of a new week and a good moment for a new beginning". Utter bs off-course. But it allowed me to drink for another day.

But now I'm done. I want to quit and need to quit. Alcohol has destroyed my life and wasted so many years. Something I can make up for when I'm sober though. But also my health is in the danger zone. My liver is close to being permanently damaged. If I quit now, it is reversible.

My cholesterol is so high due to the drinking that if I continue, I have less than 10 years left. That's not much for a 36 year old...

All of it is reversible and I can get back to good health and live long and happily if I quit now. Which was basically the conclusion my doctor gave me. Three weeks ago...

But it was in the back of my mind and has exploded into my awareness fully today. I must quit. I can live a fun and happy life if I ban alcohol.

No more health problems. No more short life-expectancy. No more of the mess most of you are most likely all too familiar with.

I want a happy, healthy, fun and fulfilling life. I want a wife, kids, settle down and be the good person that I essentially am. Without alcohol being in my life anymore.

Even after writing this, I can't flush the remaining booze down the drain. Pathetic really. But from tomorrow on, it's over. No more alcohol ever again.

So I plan to write a diary on here to keep me motivated and to let others know what happens. And of most value would be the input of others who have been where I am and who can help me.

And once this is over, maybe I do the same for others.

So hi, here I am.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on deciding to live sober! You won't regret it.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish you the very best of luck with turning your life around!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have had a awakening with regards to your relationship with alcohol. You give, it takes. Congratulations on your realization. Look forward to seeing you on the boards sharing your experience, strength and hope.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Please seek a medical detox from your doctor!!

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family goingtobesober. You have a good attitude, and you definitely are not pathetic. I drank into my 50's, so you're already way ahead of me in the common sense department.

We're glad to have you here. I think you'll find it a helpful place to vent and find good suggestions as you get sober. You can do it.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great! I'm a newcomer too with a similar story I've wasted about four years by smoking weed. And I'm finally now getting the grip back on my life. Keep us updated on your progress. And the best of luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never went to detox. I just stopped. No chills no nothing. If you have a doctor then go to him. Again not unless you are rally bad then detox might be the road for you. Welcome and keep writing.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very inspirational and honest post, thank you.

I wish you the best !
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Great decision to quit. I wrote a diary (privately) as well and it really helped to see the progress and see how my mood lifted over time.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. It's very motivating.

Ok, day 1 has begun. My plan is to write at the end of each day in my diary thread. So tonight I'll tell you all how it went.