Notices

Big fat dose of humility

Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big fat dose of humility

I had my review today for work and guess what? I am not perfect! Go figure!

I try extremely hard (for the most part) to do a great job and it sucks being told my areas of needing improvement. The review wasn't bad, it was good, in fact, it ended with her thanking me for doing such a good job.

But the things she mentioned I needed to improve really just seem to stand out to me now and it has been bothering me all day. Then it came to me: I am not perfect, I am doing the absolute best that I can.

It still kind of bugs me though

Anyone get offended easily? Maybe I am just over sensitive.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Anyone get offended easily? Maybe I am just over sensitive.
Yep, my sponsor in AA doesn't pull any punches. Tells me the truth all the time about what she sees in me. She knows me pretty well. It's good for me to have someone in my life to call me on my stuff and tell me where I need to grow. Not always at the time but later I do appreciate it after I get over wanting to kill her.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure most of us don't welcome criticism Elizabeth

The thing is...'perfect' leaves us with nothing to shoot for.
I'd much rather be imperfect and trying

D
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't let this bother you Elisabeth. These reviews are meant to help employees improve, they're not meant to shame an employee or make an employee feel incompetent. I've been on both ends of these types of reviews. Personally, whenever someone gave me a review, I always appreciated the feedback; I liked knowing what areas my employer felt needed improvement. None of us are perfect, and sometimes we lack the ability to evaluate ourselves honestly.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand exactly where you're coming from, and I've been trying to cope with it. The best thing I can say is, when you find something in your character that you find unpleasant, or find an area that you're deficient in, strive to correct it.

I do not know the source, but to paraphrase a quote: "There is no such thing as a mistake, only a discovered opportunity."

I had some negative points brought up in my work review recently, and I am trying to correct them. You can only do the best you can do! I wish you luck in working it out!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was recently given some constructive criticism by a manager about how I conducted one of my seminars, he said it was very good overall just a few things needed improvement. At first I was upset but now I think I see a little of his point and will remember it for the next seminar. In the past I would have drank because of it and fueled a hateful resentment over it but now I can understand it was mostly a compliment with just a few suggestions! Ahh how things are so much easier when I'm not drunk!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't mind being told I'm failing at something, or even rubbish at it, as long as I am told why, and what I can do to improve. Constructive criticism is a positive thing, as long as we take the advice on board and put in the effort to improve. It sounds like you are a valued member of your team, so congratulations on that.