Notices

Waking up to a financial mess....

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up to a financial mess....

Alright, good morning Mizzuno! My H looks in the bank account to see that my employers check bounced. We are getting by, but its hard times at the house of Mizzuno, since I was FIRED from my job. So, my muscles tense up and my mind goes into a panic. I called the employer, she is going to give me cash for the check and the return fee. This was my first check by said employer.
This is what my husband said, "Its your first check. Where does she bank? Go to her bank and cash the check she gives you!"
I need to wake up here and think. Should I find different employment? Is this a warning sign? Oy Vie!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like a warning sign Mizzuno. If it were me I would continue with the current job, but I would already be working seriously on "Employment Plan B". The anxiety over finances should decrease if you have a Plan B in place.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your husband is right. Cash it at her bank pronto, then take Feenixx's advice and look for a new job.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Your husband is right. Cash it at her bank pronto, then take Feenixx's advice and look for a new job.
Okay. I dont like it, but it makes sense. I have this aversion to a lot of change. I need structure, stability and a dependable work schedule. The ad said full time and I am only pulling in maybe 25 or up to 30 hours. Its stressful to say the least.
To top that off, I will work 6 hours and then finally be given a break. I do not want to complain of my situation because i am so GRATEFUL to have found a job. The other day I worked 9 hours without a lunch, without a break......Oh, the break was the drive to the Wedding that we were catering. I am trying to remain positive with all of this.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mizzuno, I'm not suggesting you should change jobs just yet. I am saying you should have a "solid" plan in place in case this job does not work out--and 9 hour days without a break and bouncing pay checks are a sign the job may not work out. On the other hand, the check problem could be just a blip; you may not have this problem ever again.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's certainly not a good sign, but it could be a simple accounting mistake. If it ever happens again it's probably a good sign to make a change. And you can go directly to the issuing bank and find out immediately if they have enough to cover it next time.

Did any of your co-workers have the same problem? Or have any of them had the same problem in the past? Passing a bad check once is a mistake. Doing it twice is not only bad, it's a criminal offense if they are knowingly doing it.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Mizzuno, I'm not saying you should change jobs just yet. I am saying you should have a "solid" plan in place in case this job does not work out--and 9 hour days without a break and bouncing pay checks are a sign the job may not work out. On the other hand, the check problem could be just a blip; you many not have this problem ever again.
Yes, okay. I hear ya. This may be a blip in the Matrix. I will proceed with caution. 9 hours without a break is not fun. There are laws in place for this sort of thing.
I will see how the story unfolds. All I can do is show up and do my best with any situation.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's certainly not a good sign, but it could be a simple accounting mistake. If it ever happens again it's probably a good sign to make a change. And you can go directly to the issuing bank and find out immediately if they have enough to cover it next time.

Did any of your co-workers have the same problem? Or have any of them had the same problem in the past? Passing a bad check once is a mistake. Doing it twice is not only bad, it's a criminal offense if they are knowingly doing it.
I am not sure about any of the co-workers. I have not experienced this before. I am not sure if I will ask about it. The business is a small local outfit. I know the owner means well.
The check that bounced doesnt even appear to be full payment for hours that i worked. My H was asking about this. I didnt make a fuss. I'm uncertain now.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mizzuna, California frowns big time on stuff like that. A half hour lunch and two ten minute breaks are required with an 8 hour day. Did she pay time and a half for that extra hour? I know you don't want to rock the boat but if it continues or u don't get paid, go to the California dept of labor and make a complaint.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I need structure, stability and a dependable work schedule.
Good one, Mizz !!

An alcoholic wants/needs stability and dependability and structure.

I live about 35 miles from Detroit and we used to go over to Detroit & Toledo to go drinking. One night I left for Toledo and ended up in Phoenix

Missed 5 days of work. The boss said that I needed structure, stability and a dependable work schedule.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2blackkittehs View Post
Mizzuna, California frowns big time on stuff like that. A half hour lunch and two ten minute breaks are required with an 8 hour day. Did she pay time and a half for that extra hour? I know you don't want to rock the boat but if it continues or u don't get paid, go to the California dept of labor and make a complaint.
The way that things appear to be set up: I clock in at the Eatery and then clock out if I am going to cater. I then sign a sheet for being at the Catering job. The catering might be under the table. I am not certain. I was told to keep a record of hours because they have been known to not pay for the catering. I have only been grateful and so I wasnt looking at the picture clearly until now..... now that I am talking about it. I had this habit in the past of complaining and I didn't want to start doing that. I am grateful ya know?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Now, due to a bounced check. I get to go into my employers bank and try to get the fees reversed. Why am I taking care of this? Im very angry.

( or fax over the bank my account info, which I dont have a fax)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The way that things appear to be set up: I clock in at the Eatery and then clock out if I am going to cater. I then sign a sheet for being at the Catering job. The catering might be under the table. I am not certain. I was told to keep a record of hours because they have been known to not pay for the catering. I have only been grateful and so I wasnt looking at the picture clearly until now..... now that I am talking about it. I had this habit in the past of complaining and I didn't want to start doing that. I am grateful ya know?
Sounds like several strikes against them.

1. Bouncing Paychecks
2. Potentially not paying you for actual hours worked
3. Running part of the business "under the table"
4. Being known for not always paying for the catering work.

If all 4 of those are actually true, i'd honestly look for a different job. It's certainly good to have a set schedule and I understand you are thankful to have a job, but it's also not fair of them to take advantage of you. Some companies bank on the fact that they can exploit people who are so desperate to have any kind of a job that they can do just about whatever they want to.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with Feenix-

Cash the check and start looking. There are numerous red flags here.

Don't relax on looking for another job until you actually have another job. These folks sound like bad news. I worked for years in the restaurant business and there's tons of fly-by-night folks in the business.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So, the snow ball continues/

Another fee is tacked onto my account for overdraft charges.
Its been tight since i lost my job.
She paid me cash for the bounced check. I had to bring my bank statement.
Then, before she handed me my second paycheck I was told that she needed to clear the funds so that i can cash it.
Okay. This is awkward and unsettling.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mizz, if you want to continue with this job you could request certified checks (cheques in Canada).

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Mizz, if you want to continue with this job you could request certified checks (cheques in Canada).

All the best.

Bob R
Well, I am not sure about continuing. I need to line up something else. I have to continue until I find another job.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

warning signs

So, the snow ball continues/

Another fee is tacked onto my account for overdraft charges.
Its been tight since i lost my job.
She paid me cash for the bounced check. I had to bring my bank statement.
Then, before she handed me my second paycheck I was told that she needed to clear the funds so that i can cash it.
Okay. This is awkward and unsettling.
Looks like you should find a more reliable source of income. I used to be a bookkeeper for a small printing company. When I gave out paychecks, the employees started asking me if the checks were going to clear. I couldn't say anything cuz I really didn't know. I wasn't in charge of the bank account. I had been working there for about a month when this started happening. Needless to say, the company closed a few weeks later. Good luck with your decision/s!